Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: LAPD vs. 13 year old auto theft suspect

coolchange
    My B in law just started the academy,I still don't beleive it.
    That cops life is over. I know someone that was directly involved in the Rodney King thing and it affected every part of his life to the very core. I hope he has a couple of good friends.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Reprinted without the permission of the LA times
    Mother of Slain Teen Sues L.A. and Officer
    By Patricia Ward Biederman
    Times Staff Writer
    May 11, 2005
    The mother of 13-year-old Devin Brown, who was fatally shot by police after a car chase in February, filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the city of Los Angeles and the officer involved.
    The suit, brought by Evelyn Davis, names Los Angeles Police Officer Steven Garcia in the Feb. 6 slaying of her son.
    It alleges wrongful death and negligent hiring, training and supervision of Garcia, who allegedly fired 10 shots at the scene.
    "We believe the child died as a result of the improper conduct and poor training of this officer," said Davis' attorney Brian Dunn.
    After the fatal shooting, the Los Angeles Police Commission restricted officers from shooting at moving vehicles unless they feel their lives or those of bystanders are at risk.
    On Feb. 6, officers pursued a maroon Toyota Camry, driven by Devin, after the car ran a red light in South Los Angeles about 4 a.m., police said.
    Officers said Devin later backed the car into their patrol car.
    Garcia then fired at the car, killing Devin, according to police, who later learned that the car was stolen.
    The complaint asks for a jury to hear the case and for an unspecified amount of money in general and punitive damages.
    Commentary: Nevermind the fact that he was in the act of committing a felony in a stolen car and ran from the police and then tried to run them down!

dirty old man
    why wasn't the mother arrested for child neglect or something? At least someone should put her straight. Here comes Jessie, Sharpton and others to put the police down again.

redi4fun
    OH PLEASE, take some responsibility lady. If the facts are straight, any one of us would have shot at the occupant.

Freak
    Can't wait 'till Johnny Cockroach comes crawling out from under the rug representing the family in a lawsuit over this incident.
    No worries on that....He's been dead for around a couple of months.

Biglue
    Just read all this thread and I have to tell you, I'd be scared sh..less. I mean I don't want to die especially in the line of duty (at work). Just picture the scene. The kid is cornered and it's dark, you don't know who you are dealing with and he starts backing in to you. I'm sorry it was a young kid but ffff come on. I am hispanic and have never had any mistreatment from a cop. All it takes is a little respect and courtesy and you will be on your way, citation or not. I've even been cut a break or two. Some of the opinions placed on these forums really slam some minorities not that we don't deserve it at times but I just want you to know that even as a Hispanic American I give the LEOS a thumbs up. I think that for the most part they are do gooders and do make a difference. After all they all have families of their own they want to see everynight after work. Just letting you know that we do as a group appreciate what you guys do. Good job and I hope the cops involved get some light at the end of this deal. I'm sure the cop who shot up the kid has to have a huge load on his consciece. I know I would.

JackieV
    I was just talking about this issue with my family the other night.
    Personally I think, that if this kid was at home like he should have been then he would still be alive today. Not that anyone deserves to die.
    Police are trained to protect and serve, "not all are perfect" but we have to think and put ourselves in their position. That officer is handeling the situation as he or she should. I honestly think sometimes the gun gets fired off too many times in order to stop the bad person but what would you do to protect yourself and the innocent people around you.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I honestly think sometimes the gun gets fired off too many times in order to stop the bad person but what would you do to protect yourself and the innocent people around you.
    In the academy you are trained to fire until the perp is stopped, it may take 1 it may take 5. And to all the people that want them to shoot them in the leg, that's a Hollywood thing. You are taught to shoot at center mass.

BoatPI
    And last week LAPD announced that they will try to recruit 760 new officers over the next year. It will be difficult to get 400.

JackieV
    In the academy you are trained to fire until the perp is stopped, it may take 1 it may take 5. And to all the people that want them to shoot them in the leg, that's a Hollywood thing. You are taught to shoot at center mass.
    See, I didn't know that. Who says they should be shot in the leg, that is just too funny, it does sound like a Hollywood thing! LOL
    Maybe then that part of the training should be changed a little bit...? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think that if your out getting into trouble your bound to run into some.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678