I have a TCM 100 amp one wire alternator, I installed it in 2002 and have had little trouble with it till now.
I noticed the last trip out that the voltage (as indicated by the dash gauge) would take some time to reach 14v, in other words,it used to be when the ignition was energized, the gauge would read somewhere near 12v, and as soon as the engine started it would jump to slightly above 14v, but on the last trip after the engine was started, the gauge would hold around the 12v mark, then slowly creep upward. If I increased the RPM, it would go up quickly.
"Damn IC regulator going out" I thought to myself.
So this past sunday, I go out to check on the boat and give it some run time, I fire it up, let it get some heat in it, and as I'm checking things over I see that the voltage is below 12v. A quick check with a DVOM confirms no output from the alt.
(Also lost the water pump impeller during this, but what the hell )
(Oh, and I found a leak from a steering hose too. Damn money pit.)
Sooo, my question is can I replace the regulator in the alt, or is it something special I have to go on a mission to locate?
I dont want to replace the complete unit for this, but I am unfamiliar with the 1 wire conversion.
Whatcha think?