Thread: Alternator question

1stepcloser
    I have a TCM 100 amp one wire alternator, I installed it in 2002 and have had little trouble with it till now.
    I noticed the last trip out that the voltage (as indicated by the dash gauge) would take some time to reach 14v, in other words,it used to be when the ignition was energized, the gauge would read somewhere near 12v, and as soon as the engine started it would jump to slightly above 14v, but on the last trip after the engine was started, the gauge would hold around the 12v mark, then slowly creep upward. If I increased the RPM, it would go up quickly.
    "Damn IC regulator going out" I thought to myself.
    So this past sunday, I go out to check on the boat and give it some run time, I fire it up, let it get some heat in it, and as I'm checking things over I see that the voltage is below 12v. A quick check with a DVOM confirms no output from the alt.
    (Also lost the water pump impeller during this, but what the hell )
    (Oh, and I found a leak from a steering hose too. Damn money pit.)
    Sooo, my question is can I replace the regulator in the alt, or is it something special I have to go on a mission to locate?
    I dont want to replace the complete unit for this, but I am unfamiliar with the 1 wire conversion.
    Whatcha think?

Havasu Hangin'
    Whatcha think?
    I think you should call Teague.
    It's probably a "900" number, and you'll be charged $2/minute, but at least he'll be able to tell you if it's a Motorola-based unit with the regulator bolted to the back...

ROZ
    With advise like that, he still must be mad about the old signature line

1stepcloser
    I think you should call Teague.
    It's probably a "900" number, and you'll be charged $2/minute, but at least he'll be able to tell you if it's a Motorola-based unit with the regulator bolted to the back...

It's the GM version, it has the internal regulator, the same thing as has been around for years, it just doesnt have any external power source, leading me to think that ots wired inside from the battery terminal or something.
    I can open it and replace the regulator, but I'm wondering if it's the same regulator or if there is a "special" one used for the one-wire dealio.
    I'd rather not call Teague if I dont have to, I'm sure they can help me.... I'm just not sure I can afford him to. Again.
    I suppose I'll just take it apart and see what it looks like and go from there.
    I thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone was familiar with these.
    You're letting me down there HH....

Havasu Hangin'
    You're letting me down there HH....
    That Teague stuff is too expensive for us poor people...so I don't know much about it. :hammerhea
    I will say that for around $35, you can probably get that bad boy rebuilt at any alternator shop. I once had one go bad like that, and it turned out the diodes went bad from heat.
    Do you want me to lend you $35?

1stepcloser
    That Teague stuff is too expensive for us poor people
    Poor? You? c'monnn.....
    the diodes went bad from heat.
    Very likely what happened to me....
    Do you want me to lend you $35?
    Yes please.

Havasu Hangin'
    Yes please.
    OK...but you will owe me two points per week. If you miss a payment, it gets added to the principal, and it goes up to three points every week thereafter.
    Don't make me send Roz over there...
    :notam:

77charger
    damn jeff 35 bucks does he get the autographed HH picture sent too. :rollside: :boxed: