Thread: Gel Coat and stringers?

BigMo
    Hey guys I have a 19ft 70 hawaiian Jet boat. Im pretty new in restoring these boat. What can i expect to pay for to put new stringers, new transom, and put a gel coat on the boat? The hull is solid is just has no stringers and the transom is rotting out in it. Also im in houston,tx does anyone Know anyone that does this? thanks guys.
    Mo

b's sanger
    I re gelcoated my Sanger and to just do it white was about $5000.00. It's all labor intensive. My guess would be between $7k and 8k for a single color gel.

BrendellaJet
    Pull your transom adapter off. the glass on my transom is 3/8 thick. im not sure what the reason is for having the wood in there, probably just to help give the glass some support while in the mold. If mine wasn't in such good shape, Id yank it out.
    Gel is very labor intensive. If you're handy and up for a project, do it yourself. otherwise you are gonna pay a ton to get it done.5-8k seems to be the norm. Stringers aren't tough either. Try a search hear and over at HavasuBarneys site. Lots of good info floating around. this work can definitely be done on your own with a little patience...otherwise id find a new boat in better condition. These repairs/mods aint cheap if you are paying to have it done.

FOURQ
    the wood on the transom is needed and one of the hardest parts to replace.... if it was mine i would cut the hull up and go buy a new TPR stealth for less than what its gana cost ya to do all that work...stringers and gell isnt hard to do just labor intense...my .02
    Shawn

BrendellaJet
    Why is the wood needed? Barney disagrees with you.

flat broke
    Brendella,
    A lot of boats (most boats) laid up with a wood transom don't have the 3/8" thick glass transom that yours seems to have. Simply put, most wood transom boats need the wood to be there and be in tact for the hull to maintain its integrity. As for citing Barney as an authority; he's a smooth talker for sure, but all you have to do is take a look at your brother's boat, or my brother's old boat and his work speaks volumes about his knowledge... I mean, come on, this is the guy that cut out the pump intake with a sazall, used filler to build up strakes when it should have been layers of glass, so on and so fourth. New guys shouldn't even be told his name for fear that they'll find him, take their project to him and get boned like those before them.
    Back on topic,
    The advice about really deciding how much this old Hawaiian is worth to you is the best advice so far. No sense dumping that kind of cash into that particular hull unless its a family heirloom, or you have a hardon for Hawaiians.
    Chris

FOURQ
    Chris put it well........ if it didnt need to be there then why did the mfg. put it there ever think of that? if you decide to take it out thats your decision but not recomendid in my book.. the wood is put ther for the stability of the transom if its not there you loose the rigidity of the hull and risk blowing the transom out you have to relize were all the pressure is on a boat when its on a plain its centered on the back of the boat and with it not being there it will get stress cracks causing delamination and eventually blow out..... so in my opinion i wouldnt leave it out..
    Shawn

Not to mention that if you were to remove the transom wood,...there "might" be a slight chance of stringer to transom clearance issue that would definitly need to be addressed?
    todd