Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart's answer to unions

mickeyfinn
    If you are as was mentioned above, a member of ILA (I think that is it,Longshoremen union ) then your union is no better than the rest. I have heard second hand of then restricting trade by threatening to indefinitely delaying the unloading of ships if they used non-union labor to offload in open ports. Don't know if this is your union or not but sounded like it. Just another example of unions getting in the way of competition. With our government giving incentives to companies to move over seas,we don't need the unions giving corporations even more reasons.

djunkie
    If you are as was mentioned above, a member of ILA (I think that is it,Longshoremen union ) then your union is no better than the rest. I have heard second hand of then restricting trade by threatening to indefinitely delaying the unloading of ships if they used non-union labor to offload in open ports. Don't know if this is your union or not but sounded like it. Just another example of unions getting in the way of competition. With our government giving incentives to companies to move over seas,we don't need the unions giving corporations even more reasons.
    Yes I am a longshoreman. It is the ILWU. And you said it your self " I have heard second hand". This is the biggest problem we have. People who only know what they hear. If you don't know first hand than why make comments on a subject that you may not be properly informed of.

mickeyfinn
    I said second hand because I was not directly involved, however a close family member was. lots of time in preparation and depositions only to be settled.

mickeyfinn
    May be a different organization though. I'm pretty sure it was the ILA and that is different from what you said.

djunkie
    It always seems that I get caught up in these discussions and it is always a big waste of time. There is always going to be pro's and con's of everyone's career/profession. There is always going to be people that have nothing good to say about it so why say anything at all. You have your opinoin and thats not gonna change no matter what. If you hate unions for some reason or another thats your perogative and I'm not gonna change it. But don't sit here and say "I heard second hand" or "I read somewhere" and expect eveyone is gonna agree with you. Do you beleive everything you read and hear? I don't think so. If you do you've got some issues. Maybe people are just jealous maybe not. But I'm out of this discussion. I didn't join Hot Boat for the political BS.

Forkin' Crazy
    But don't sit here and say "I heard second hand" or "I read somewhere" and expect eveyone is gonna agree with you. Do you beleive everything you read and hear? I don't think so. If you do you've got some issues. Maybe people are just jealous maybe not. But I'm out of this discussion. I didn't join Hot Boat for the political BS.
    Well I guess that I heard everything second hand. It came directly from people that were intimately involved. I have never been directly involved with a union, but have plenty of friends that have. I guess getting all this second hand info makes my opinions debunked. LOL!!!
    I know I did watch FIRST HAND two of my friends that opened an AC Delco parts warehouse. It when along fine for the first year and a half. They were making money, paying bills and had doubled their employees in just one year. That's when the UAW went on strike. If you are in the business of selling car parts and the car part manufacture quits selling you parts, then you are fukked!!! And it was the UAW (union) that did it! Fukk the UAW and all other unions that operate like them, second hand or not!!!
    BTW, if you don't like it here, then go back to the sandbar!!! :messedup:
    Let's see if I can kill this thread...LOL! :squiggle:

SHOTKALLIN
    Anyone who works for Walmart knew that it was a dead end job when they took it. Anyone who took a job with Walmart hoping that someday the union would come and give them the world is a fool. If you want a union job go get one.

Brooski
    There are pros and cons with everything, unions included. And I have seen union jobs that dont pay a whole lot more than non-union jobs. But what I havent seen mentioned here is how most union jobs have BENEFITS. Kinda hard to pay your own medical, dental and retirement on minimum wage. Unions also help prevent people from being laid off or fired unfairly. And before you say it, I have seen alot of people fired legitimately without the union fighting it. Walmart has, and probably always will treat their employees like crap, in the interest of making money. That money benefits the company, period. They can care less about helping out the employees or consumers.
    As for the uneducated comment, when it comes to smart people that have not had a higher education or college educated idiots with no common sense, I know who I would rather have working with me or for me. I'm done.

Seadog
    IF you mean paying minimum wage for a minimum skill job, then by that definition, Wal-Mart treats their people like crap. I worked at W-M in college and it was a good part-time job. A lot better than most of the small businesses I worked for. Try working for a restaurant that pays you less than minimum wage. It is acceptable for waitresses since they get tips, but the kitchen help don't get the tips. This is one of the reasons I hate the practice of tipping.
    My families have been involved with trucking and I very much remember the bad old days when teamsters would shoot at independents, or beat them up. Several family members worked for BF Goodrich and every few years they would go on strike. The workers would have to find other work for about three months and the gains never offset their losses for those months. My wife took a federal job where they have union representitives. She refused to join the union and she was never given a chance for advancement despite being a superior worker.
    Unions can be a good thing or a sheitty thing, but most of them are dinosaurs that bleed the workers more than benefit. Too many are not interested in working with the company to the benefit of all. They just want to squeeze the company as much as possible which at some point allows a non-union competitor to take over market share. How many union grocery stores are making it any more? Look at how much of a big three car is union benefits.

LUVNLIFE
    Forgive me Riodog, I should have been more specific instead of that generalized statement. I was referring to Dock Workers, Wharehouse Workers, Carpenters, Steel Workers & Equipment Operators. The more labor related fields. I'm referring to the ones that might have a highschool education. The four you mentioned are certainly deserve every penny.
    When I was in high school, I worked as a scab for a Safeway store. After the strikes, I quit becuase I would have had to join there union. They wanted to much of my check and I couldn't stay without joining.
    I'm an Equipment Operator by trade(union). I'm also educated, I'm a foreman well on the road to superintendent. I attend meetings with architects and engineers who when there designs don't work ask me to give my suggestions. You said that you were a landscaper, in my neighborhood they are called the guys that mow my lawn, and I never ask them for their opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast