Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Who Knows the Most:

Flying Tiger
    Several friends and I just bought new '06 trucks.
    We all got locking rear ends.
    This question came up:
    Is it just various brand names between builders, or is their a fundamental mechanical & function difference between Posi traction, Trac Loc, Limited slip, Sure Grip, Detroit locker, Air lock,, ect ect differentials?
    Same Tequila, different bottles?
    What's the difference?

Redwing247
    This will be educational.... I just bought an 06 and have no clue what the dif. All I know that now I can tow a bigger boat..

canuck1
    This question came up:
    Is it just various brand names between builders, or is their a fundamental mechanical & function difference between Posi traction, Trac Loc, limited slip, Sure Grip ect ect differentials?
    What's the difference?
    Most limited slips are clutch type/friction style - off road they are useless,
    A locking rear is just that - a possitive locking set up, on road is hard on parts

steelcomp
    This question came up:
    Is it just various brand names between builders, or is their a fundamental mechanical & function difference between Posi traction, Trac Loc, Limited slip, Sure Grip, Detroit locker, Air lock,, ect ect differentials?
    What's the difference?
    Maybe I can shed a little light here. There are definate differences between the types and brands you've listed, and the way they work. You have a list of mixed terms and names here, so I'll try and clarify to the best of my knowledge.
    First, it helps to understand why the different choices. (sorry if you already know this) When a car (or truck) goes around a corner, the outside wheels have to travel further than the inside wheels. They have to cover more distance, in the same amount of time as the inside wheels, so they have to spin faster. On the front, they're not connected, so that's not a problem. On the rear, though, it's a different issue. If they were directly connected by one straight axle, one tire would have to "skid" or "spin" to stay at the same speed as the other tire...usually the inside tire, when cornering. This is hard on tires, and can make for tricky driving in slippery conditions, so a "differential" was designed, to allow the two sides to turn independantly of eachother. This is great on a car that you cruise around the streets, but when you want BOTH tires to do the work, like in off roading, or drag racing, it's better to have them connected, thus a "posi traction" differential, or locker.
    Posi traction...(poastive traction) This just refers to a differential that will allow some amount of power to go to both axles through a clutch, cone, or locking mechanism, as opposed to an "open" rear end, where the two axles can turn independant of eachother. (The ol' one-legger) All the terms and names you listed are basically types of posi traction.
    Limited slip...this is a little more specific in that it allows some "slip" between the two axles while going around corners, but at the same time distributes power to both, through a series of clutches (or other means) in the differential, connecting the two sides. This is a form of posi-traction.
    Trac-Loc...this is Ford's name for their limited-slip posi-traction differential.
    Sure-grip. I'm not sure where this comes from, or weather or not it refers to a locking type of diff, or a limited slip. Maybe another mfg's name for their limited slip?
    Detriot locker. I think this was a Ford design, but I'm not sure. The Detroit Locker is a much more positive type of limited slip diff, that will allow for some independant axle rotation, but not much. It has spring loaded "dogs" that connect the two axles that make a terrible noise when they differentiate. . Always a tell tale sign of a Locker. No clutches involved here. Very strong, good for high HP.
    The ARB "Airlocker" is a great off road idea. It works like a regular, non-posi differential untill you flip a switch, where an air-actuated solanoid engages the locking mechanism in the differential. Positave, non-slipping, locked, at your demand. I don't know what the power limitations are, but from what I understand, they're pretty durable.
    There are also gear driven differentials that will actually differentiate like an open rear, but can send the power to the wheel with the most traction, when the other starts to spin. The Torsen Gleason, is one that comes to mind. They are limited to how much power they can handle, though.
    Hope that helps.

Squirtin Thunder
    And then there is the SPOOL !!!
    This is not clutch or dog driven and it is a solid conection equal power to both wheels. They can handle tons of HP but not good at all on the street as they turn both wheels the same amunt at the same time. The best choise for a rearend off road.

tahitijet
    that about covers it. In a nut shell yes there are differen't types not just differen't names.
    Jim by offroad do you mean literally offroad? A spool solidly locks both axles together through a splined coupler so both axles have no choice but to spin with each other. I was always under the impression it should never be used except for straight line (drag race) use only

Squirtin Thunder
    that about covers it. In a nut shell yes there are differen't types not just differen't names.
    Jim by offroad do you mean literally offroad? A spool solidly locks both axles together through a splined coupler so both axles have no choice but to spin with each other. I was always under the impression it should never be used except for straight line (drag race) use only
    By off-road I mean mud bogs tractor pulls sand drags and desert racing.

HOSS
    in that case (no road use) spool it

Floored
    Sure grip was the mopar name for a posi unit in their cars. GM used Positraction to describe their clutch diffs, and ford had Trac-Lock in the brochures. For the boat ramps a posi of some sort does help get up some of the steeper ramps, Topoc for example.

Squirtin Thunder
    Sure grip was the mopar name for a posi unit in their cars. GM used Positraction to describe their clutch diffs, and ford had Trac-Lock in the brochures. For the boat ramps a posi of some sort does help get up some of the steeper ramps, Topoc for example.
    My boat doesn't like that ramp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast