Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flattie speeds

Floored
    lets say Parker strip, 6:00 am , pure glass, no other boats running, wake up run. With a regular lake racer flattie at what speed,speaking just ballpark, does the ride go from way cool to ohhmaaagodddd :2purples: . I've been in the 100 mph zone in a flatty and it was way cool, but , at what speed do they generally become alittle unstable for sustaining that speed for a distance, say an extra 1/2 mile or so. and yes wearing proper gear. just wondering

ColeTR1
    The difference between 100 and 120 is big. And if you went 100 in a flat, I would say you where probably doing 80. Everyone that has a flat will tell you it goes 100. There are not too many flats on the river that go over 100. :supp:

Floored
    that was 32 years ago in a new Howard with a whole lot of big block chevy running 8k on the top end 22% over with a 2 blade Stellings prop , so ok maybe. The older I get the faster I was. We were playing ski boat getting it ready for the old unblown fuel flat class.

rrrr
    My 38 year old Howard runs 79 GPS with the same setup it was built with, a Holman-Moody 427FE low riser with two Holley fours.
    Who sez old is slow?

dmontzsta
    My 38 year old Howard runs 79 GPS with the same setup it was built with, a Holman-Moody 427FE low riser with two Holley fours.
    Who sez old is slow?
    Not bad for a stocker eh? FE power.
    I think anything over 75mph is "oh my god".

InKahntrol
    Hard question to answer... depends on the hull and the driver. I've gone a true 80mph in my friend's 17'10" Sanger and it felt like we were cruising along as comfortable as can be. The same speed (actually 77mph on GPS) in my old 18' Nordic was absolutely frightening because it liked to chine walk and do wierd stuff.
    My dad's lightweight Baron Sprint used to turn 7,500 rpm with 37% gears in the v-drive and a radical blown BBC, and it was absolutely white-knuckle make-you-piss-your-pants scary (not sure how fast that is, but well over 100mph). He has since blown that motor up and replaced it with a 700hp injected BBC, and it only turns about 6,700 rpm but is much more comfortable.
    The scariest ride I ever got wasn't in a flatty. A friend of ours owns a 24' Campbell with a 1,000hp Gentry Twin Turbo BBC and no interior. He took me for a ride when I was a kid, and since there wasn't a passenger seat I had to crouch on the floor while he screamed across the lake at about 85mph... and I could see the top of the cabin and the deck flexing. That ride put the fear of god into me... and hooked me on V-drive cruisers for the rest of my life!
    Dan

Kim Hanson
    Not bad for a stocker eh? FE power.
    I think anything over 75mph is "oh my god".
    You would Rice Boy..............( . )( . ).........

dmontzsta
    You would Rice Boy..............( . )( . ).........
    Sorry, I am just not as manly as you...dont have the long hair and slim figure and cut off jean shorts style down just yet.
    :sqeyes:

haulina29
    Cole TR1 have you owned that boat since 78?

Kim Hanson
    Sorry, I am just not as manly as you...dont have the long hair and slim figure and cut off jean shorts style down just yet.
    :sqeyes:
    Some have it!.........( . )( . )............. :hammerhea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast