Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adjustable timing pointer

78 Sprint
    I know this is a dumb question, but i bought one of those long tipped timing pointers so i could read it easier,it is also adjustable. so my question is how do i get everything zeroed. what is the best way to adjust that pointer so that it is right on top dead center and how do you get the motor perfectly on top dead center. thanks for any advice.

nascar97
    The best way is to do it with the heads off but if the heads are on then you need to get a screw in TDC finder and rotate the engine over by hand and find TDC and set the pointer.

78 Sprint
    Another stupid question but what is the trick to using the screw in style thanks.

NELSON#109
    it's easy, find tdc by hand ( finger on the hole ) screw it in the #1 hole. slowly turn the it over clockwise or counter clockwise ( by hand, w/ the key off & coil wire dirconected ). when the piston hits the finder, make a mark on the balancer. slowly turn the engine over the other way till it stops, and again make a mark. top dead center is in the midle of those two marks. if you dont want to buy a tdc finder, they are easy to make. get an old spark plug and break out the porcilen. tap out the center and screw a bolt threw it, i used a 6" bolt, and it sticks through the end of the spark plug 1& 3/8". the bolt is locked on to the spark plug w/ two nuts on the back side of the plug. i rounded the end of the bolt where it contacts the piston. sounds retarded, but it was easy and quick to make, and it works like a champ.

HoffmanEagleMarine
    78 Sprint, Nelson#109's got it! I made mine too....Real easy, _ummit also sells one for $8 bones. You might be amazed how far off your original pointer has been running. Those cheap pressed tin pointers are way off sometimes. When I checked mine, it was 2 degrees off compared to "true" top dead center..Doug

Heatseeker
    One thing to remember when using the plug type deal is to approach the top of the stroke slowly. That bolt will dent your piston with ease! As long as you are careful, there's no worries.

R.A.D.man
    If your motor is already built, and nothing is wrong, and you are just replacing the current indicator, just rotate your motor until the mark touches 0 on the current setup. Then remove the old one and replace it with the adjustable one, then set the indicator to the harmonic balancer line and your done.

Heatseeker
    If your motor is already built, and nothing is wrong, and you are just replacing the current indicator, just rotate your motor until the mark touches 0 on the current setup. Then remove the old one and replace it with the adjustable one, then set the indicator to the harmonic balancer line and your done.
    How would a guy know if the pointer was in the right place to begin with?
    It's best to do as suggested above, just to be sure. In some applications a couple of degrees can be the difference between a good hard run and melting down.
    I wouldn't chance it.

78 Sprint
    Thanks for all the information i think i will just make on at work. so let me see if i understand this right leave about 1 3/8" of the bolt sticking through the spark plug get #1 coming up on compression stroke rolling the motor over until the piston just hits the bolt, stop and put a marke on the balancer were the pointer is pointing roll the engine over in the opposite direction until it hits the bolt again and put another mark. the center between those two marks will be TDC and i should be able to adjust my pointer to line up with this mark with out rolling the motor over any more right correct me if im wrong thanks again for all your help.

Heatseeker
    You pretty much got it.
    After you determine and mark the center,it won't matter where you posistion the pointer as long as it lines up with your mark.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast