Thread: Cleaning out Aluminum Gas Tanks

79TahitiCBB
    Hey guys,
    I am trying to get the varnish and junk out of the tanks in my Tahiti, and am having trouble finding someone that can boil aluminum tanks up here in Nor-Cal.
    Short of cutting holes in the tank and cleaning it by hand does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

jdf
    try some high caustic degreaser or alum. cleaner acid

Cas
    Mike,
    I bought a Tahiti a couple of years back that had been sitting for awhile. It had a good 1/4" of gunk on the bottom of both tanks, pretty nasty to say the least. I poured about a gallon and a half of lacquer thinner in each tank and drove from Fresno to Sonoma. When I got here I just pumped the tanks pretty dry with an electric fuel pump, worked real well. If your tanks are real bad, along with the lacquer thinner, put a bunch of steel ball bearings in the tanks before towing it around. The balls will roll around helping to churn up the junk. Once clean, just use a magnet to get them out.

Here's a trick I use on old street rod fuel tanks (sounds stupid, but works). Buy some galvanized roofing nails, and put a handful in the tank with about a half gallon of non flammable solvent. There are quite a few water based solvents that work reasonably well. This next part may take 2 people. Tip the tank back and forth sloshing the solvent and nails in the tank. The sharp edges of the nails take rust (in steel tanks) and scale off very well. Empty the tank and check how much crap comes out. Pour in another handful of nails and more solvent. Keep sloshing/refilling until the solvent you pour out is clean. This works great if you're going to seal the tank, too.

79TahitiCBB
    Thanks for the ideas guys, I apreciate it.
    Roostwear you talked about sealing the tanks what can you use that will seal aluminum tanks?
    The thing that gets me is what do people do with aluminum radiators if they get gunked up with something?
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Ken F
    >what do people do with aluminum radiators if they get gunked up with something?<
    Replace them?
    Ken F

Tahiti, aluminum radiators aren't as prone to clogging. The tubes are much larger.
    Don't know where in NorCal you are, but I have used Contra Costa Radiator here in Concord. Rick, the owner, is a boat racer so he is familiar with what you are dealing with. Might be expensive as that stuff still in the tank may be considered "hazardous waste".Give a call to 925 682-2226.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Be careful after they are cleaned. My buddy tried cleaning them in the boat, didn't work. Took them out and cleaned them with a caustic cleaner, put them back in the boat and they leaked! Removed them again and fiberglassed them to seal them up and glassed them back in the boat again. This time ok. Budlight

Thanks for the ideas guys, I apreciate it.
    Roostwear you talked about sealing the tanks what can you use that will seal aluminum tanks?
    The thing that gets me is what do people do with aluminum radiators if they get gunked up with something?
    Thanks again,
    Mike
    Unless you have SEVERE corrosion problems, I wouldn't seal an aluminum tank. There are aircraft sealers that bond to steel well, but I have my doubts about their adhesion to aluminum. Clean it, install it, run it (after you've checked for leaks, of course!).

victorfb
    if you are going to stick anything inside the tanks, nails, ballbearings, ect. count them first. most tanks have a baffling system inside were some of those things may get stuck temporarily. it would suck to find you left a few in there after reinstalling and actually in use. good way to clog the outlet especially on bottom fed tanks.