Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that sled.

72Hallett
    Thanks, keep it coming.

Itsahobby
    Didn't Wilkes build some 21' daycrusiers? Or, did they just Rig them?
    Hobby

You are correct. It is a 1979 21' Howard. I believe it has the same bottom as a 20.5 Spectre and a similar bottom to the Schiada River Cruiser. I just bought it and wanted to get info on this boat if anyone has any. How do they ride, turn, and how fast with about 550 hp? Thanks, Jeff
    Well you're right about the Spectra connection. Howard was the first (of many, many, many) builders to splash the Spectra. He may well have been the only one to call them up and tell them he was going to do it though. lol
    Later he tooled up a deck that had straight gunnales like the Schiada, and he also offered the boat with a whaler deck on it.
    As far as a Schiada connection, only in looks.
    Nice boat, congrats!

FrznJim
    Since if have both hulls, I measured them. They are quite similar but not the same;
    81Schiada RC, 77Howard:
    Transom width at bottom: 76.5", 77.5"
    Transom width at deck: 87.5", 85.5"
    Depth of Vee: 9", 8"
    Overall length: 20'-8", 20'-10"
    If the ice ever goes out on our lake, we'll see how they compare in speed as the power is similar. Carbed Gentry/RaceAero in the Schiada and EFI Gentry/RaceAero in the Howard. Jim Lange at Hi-Tech rerigged the Howard, changed strut/prop location etc so I won't have to worry about the nose going over at speed.

HM
    Didn't Wilkes build some 21' daycrusiers? Or, did they just Rig them?
    Hobby
    He has a mold for a 21 daycruiser that he calls Silverwing. I don't know any history on these hulls. He will still build them today. I beleive he has a 19' or 20' Rayson GN mold...I think it is 19'. He also rigs a shitload of cruisers, or actually, re-rigs. Jim's rigging abilities on v-drives is top notch, and he likes the rigging to bling - but function is #1. I saw him rig a Cougar 21 MTR that was effin sick. Probably a tad overkill on the engineering, but I think the MTR had a 1200 HP twin turbo monstor put in....so overkill was required.
    My next boat is a 22 MTR and mr Wilkes will be rigging it. I just got to get him to take it easy on the Mexican Food so he lives long enough to rig it. Well, and he is a family friend too, so we would like to see him stick around in general.

72Hallett
    21' schiada
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...schiada_21.JPG
    You shouldn't put something so beautiful next to mine. Dave, that thing is awesome and I'll i've seen is the stern. I've heard and read alot about it. Can't wait to see it in the water.

I'll give ya $5,500 for it right now. :220v: :rollside: If not can I start the new thread for you.
    Clean 72 Hallett less engine $5,500
    http://www.hallettboats.com/images/hbheader.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...672Hallett.JPG

Kurtis500
    You are correct. It is a 1979 21' Howard. I believe it has the same bottom as a 20.5 Spectre and a similar bottom to the Schiada River Cruiser. I just bought it and wanted to get info on this boat if anyone has any. How do they ride, turn, and how fast with about 550 hp? Thanks, Jeff
    A very good boat! It goes through the rough like a dream. Especially under full power. Mine does about 55mph, maybe 60 with the new prop I'm putting on and thats plenty fast for me. The prop never unloads in the rough water like the jets, the faster you go in the rough the smoother it rides. It turns fairly well, but give yourself some room its no circle boat. Reverse is just that, give yourself some room there too it doesn't steer very well. Dont try to reverse off the ramp through a bunch of boats in a crosswind. I would weld some bunks on the side of the trailer like the other photo on here, it will make trailering the boat sooo much easier in the wind and in tight places.

VD CRUISER
    I thought it looked like a Howard,(Spectra), I 've had two of them, currently have a 1983. When it was fairly new, with about 530 hp, I could get about 80 mph out of it if I reallly let it fly,( plate up). It rides pretty good, but not as smooth as the Schiada.

72Hallett
    Thanks vd cruiser and Kurtis. This helps. I'm going to be moving my engine from my 72 hallett v-drive into this Howard. I'm anxious to see how it rides in comparison to my Hallett.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast