Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Wet Carpet

Dusty Times
    With a sunkin room water can leach through concrete where the drop is if not waterproofed.

WHIPPED502
    Dusty Times what would be the best way to water proof?
    Thanks John

Scream
    There are plenty of waterproofing "paints" available. You'll have to pull the dirt away from the foundation and clean the area, paint the goop on and let it dry. Sounds like you might have a cracked slab. Nothing rare here in California. Try some caulking between the slab and the sill, or if there's a big crack (had one before) fill it with mortar or concrete patch. Good luck on the carpet, usually when it gets wet it's done.
    Scream

BiggusJimbus
    And you know how wives HATE to replace carpet.
    (of course, then it's followed by paint, then couches, then accessories... Yep, gonna cost you either way)

mike37
    Thanks John
    1st thing get rain gutters if you don't have them
    if you do add drains in your yard to get the water away from your house
    if water pools up around the house you will keep having problems no mater how much waterproofing you do

Badger301
    Thanks John
    PM 21Daytona. He has a Waterproofing Company. He help me and a couple of others on this board as well. He's a great guy, lot's of help. Dont know if Victorville is in his area but he may be able to point you in the right direction.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    if you shut the water down at the meter. it is not going to leak. so watch it when you turn it back on. to me it sounds like a foundation leak. if you are on a slab. sometimes the water piping is in the ceiling.
    the only way you are going to see a leak when shutting it off at the meter is if it is before the meter. ( city side) do not shut down the meter. but keep an eye on it while it is on. keep the fixtures turned off and see if it moves. then you will know if it is plumbing. or structural.

Floored
    all concrete slabs have cracks in them and the sunken room can get water through the cracks. as it rains the water level raises and looks for the path of least resistance, your lowest room. the ground is fairley well saturated now and may not be easily fixable until a little drying out time of the ground around your home. when it dries out I would epoxy all slab cracks and seal the floor against moisture. my .002

WHIPPED502
    Thanks again everyone for the advise. I pulled the carpet back and the edges that are on an outside wall are wet. I also pulled the moldings and there is a gap between the floor and dry wall so the dry wall is not wet. The tack strips for the carpets are all wet. The few places that the carpet was really wet are low spots in the foundation. No cracks in the foundation in this paticular room. The 2x4 on the footing is wet. Will this mold? Not much I can do with the outside right now since it is still raining. I plan on getting some heaters and fans tomorrow to dry the inside and caulk the the area between the footing and 2x4. Will this help? I am going to have to replace the pad. I will also probably replace the carpet. What sucks it is only 3 years old. I guess I am lucky that the room isn't that big. This is just a little pain in the butt. What does suck is that the house was going on the market Tues. I guess it will have to wait.
    John

i used concrete silicon its clear worked great.i took a screw driver along the bottom of the wall where the stucco meets the slab and scraped a grove in it vacummed it real good,dryed it with my wet vac(the blower side)and layed a nice bead in the grove.i tryed a few other caulkings and the concrete stuff was by far the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast