Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hawaiian boat info?

Kwicherbichen
    It appears a few folks are still mixing Hawaiian and Team Hawaiian. They are 2 different unrelated companies correct?

No relation what so ever, except for the word Hawaiian in the name.

No Drama
    I currently own a 1994 21' Hawaiian Cat, It is sort of a tunnel hull. I have tried endlessly to find the company and have only come up with Team Hawaiian, in Norco. The boat has a BBC with a Bravo outdrive. I have seen one other in my life. I have had the boat at about 80ish according to the speedo, but I don't think the hull can handle much more than that. Any factual information on who really made this would be appreciated.
    http://www.havasubarney.com/gallery/album08/Ohzee
    [This message has been edited by No Drama (edited March 08, 2002).]

well i dont know about 2 different hawaiian boat man. but the one in norco be very careful.

No Drama,
    what does the # in the transom begin with. The old Hawaiian, from the 70's and off and on through the 80's and 90's, began with.. H B G . I don't know what Team Hawaiian begins with.
    If yours starts with HBG, there's a good chance it was one of Schusters later ones.
    I don't know how many of you guys are
    SO CAL guys and drive the 91 alot, but about 10 years ago, just as you would enter Corona going East in the 91, there is a large storage yard that runs along the south side the fwy. There use to be a 50' plug for a tunnel that sat there for a long time. That was one of Schusters projects that never got done.
    ND, you might have one of his smaller ones.
    Again, like Kwicherbichen pointed out, they are two completly different companies.
    Now, on the other hand they may have bought the rights to use the name Hawaiian, but I doubt it. Other wise it would be Hawaiian and not Team Hawaiian. Unless there were legal reasons to add the 'Team' to the name, like Carrera did years ago when they changed from Carrera to Team Carrera after they filed papers to stay afloat.
    Oh, what a tangled web........
    [This message has been edited by old rigger (edited March 08, 2002).]

RiverToysJas
    Wayne King owns Team Hawaiian in Corona.
    I know he was building mid-20' cats three or four years ago.
    Although Team Hawaiian is NOT the same company as the Hawaiian of the 70s, he claims to have worked at or been affiliated the original. Old Rigger and I have posted about this before, he doesn't remember Wayne and I wouldn't past him to be stretching the truth.
    I have heard of some less than favorable experiences at Team Hawaiian. I have delt with Wayne personally. He's a nice guy but some of his claims and statements were contradictory. Be careful and do your homework. Remember, you get what you pay for. How many reviews of Team Hawaiian have you read in Hot Boat? None in the last several years. They don't take their boats to Hot Boat evaluations. If you search the archieves of Hot Boats reviews you'll find the reason why.
    Here, I'll make it easy: http://free.***boat.net/tests/docs/T...4_Euro_297.htm
    Read that article!
    Just my thoughts.
    RTJas. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited March 08, 2002).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
    [B]Wayne King owns Team Hawaiian in Corona.
    Although Team Hawaiian is NOT the same company as the Hawaiian of the 70s, he claims to have worked at or been affiliated the original. Old Rigger and I have posted about this before, he doesn't remember Wayne and I wouldn't past him to be stretching the truth.
    RTJ ,
    I wouldn't stretch the truth about knowing someone from any of the shops I worked in.
    I may not have liked someone at Hawaiian, mainly Groom, and I've made it pretty clear how I felt about him.
    There would be no reason for me not to acknowledge someone who was working there.
    If he says he worked there, great, but I sure as hell never met anyone with that name there.
    Although, my mind ain't what it use to be, what with all the glue sniffin' and resin fumes through the years.....man, I miss those days.

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by old rigger:
    RTJ ,
    I wouldn't stretch the truth about knowing someone from any of the shops I worked in.
    NO NO NO! You don't strech the truth, Wayne does!!! Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    I know he does and have first-hand accounts that I'd rather not get into on an open forum. If someone really needs to know, we could chat through e-mail.
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Gunjo
    Originally posted by old rigger:
    RiverToysJas,
    yeah,
    my dad's boat had a few spots on the hull towards the transom where the tape job was a little iffy.
    I was at Hawaiian from the day they started to the day we closed the doors.
    Yes, the hulls were layed up heavy. If there was one common thing from the Tahiti to Hawaiian thing, it was Schuster was never one to lay up a light hull. The problem with the boats getting spider cracks isn't from lack of glass, but improper placement of the wood in the hulls and decks. Deck braces, dash wood, etc. Another common breaking point is on the dash where the tach or speedo is. A problem not limited to only Hawaiians stuff.
    Having said Dick built them heavy, I will add this little story, because there are lots of old Hawaiian owners that would argue the point.
    Groom decided that the laminators were making too much money, so he cut their pay per boat back. (this in itself should show the mind set of this guy. he was a pin head) We all, except the detailers, wood cutters and a few others worked piece work. This didn't go over to well with the glass guys (duh) so in retaliation, they left a layer or two or three out of the layup of the hull, being smart enough to add glass in the area where the rigger would cut out for the intake, giving the impression of a complete lay-up. None was the wiser until, 2 or 3 months down the road when the boats had had some use, the bottoms started cracking wide open.
    This was a major nightmare to say the least and added, in the long run, to Hawaiians demise. Sal our repair guy, fixed bottoms on boats for over 2 years solid, until the place went under. That's all he did. Fix boat bottoms. There were probably over 100 boats that had to be fixed. The customers were the ones who got shafted though, and word got out about the problem big time.
    Things between Dick and Dickhead were never the same and it created a strange work environment. Jerry was always trying to show his power and Dick would come in behind him and be-little him in front of the guys. He had a real dry sense of humor and it was pretty funny to see him cut Groom down. In fact Groom fired me one day, jumping in my face about something, and I jumped right back in his. I was 19 or so and thought I would kick his butt (looking back, what an asshole I was) so I chased him through the shop, my hands dripping with resin and glass, the whole time him yelling out that I was fired. I never caught him, so I loaded up my tools and went home. My dad is the one who really caught grief though. After I had left, Groom went across the street to where my dad was the foreman and rode his ass all day.
    Anyway, the next morning I got a call from Schuster wondering where the hell I was. I told him what had happened and he said to get back to work. Groom showed up for work after I had aready gotten there, he was on a work release program from prison at that time, and was super pissed off that Dick did what he did. We didn't speak to one another after that.
    I don't want to give the impression of working in a gloom and doom type of place. It was really alot of fun. We all had a blast back then, and on the whole things ran smoothly. The guys working there were pretty cool, lots of them going on to bigger and better things in the boat world. But the main drawback to Hawaiian was Groom . He was his own worst enemy.
    I have a 1977 Hawaiian, 21 ft. the HIN# starts with HBG. It has a Johnson V6 outboard, 235hp.I'm trying to sell. I got it in repayment of a debt so I am clueless about its worth. I'm also wondering how it ended up in the corn fields of Illinois. How in the heck can I find out what to ask for it? I had about given up finding the manufacturer. Local marinas had no clue what a Hawaiian was. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. It is really good condition. I enjoyed learning about the history of the company. my email is Gunjo6567@aol.com. Please put Hawaiian in the subject of the email.

novaspy
    I have a 26 foot Hawaiian Day Cruiser for sale. It has BBF and a Berkley pump.
    Boat is in good shape. Any takers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123