Thread: Help needed, shimming top mount starter

Nubbs
    My starter went bad so I decided to switch to a top mount starter with the new one. I got the starter, but I'm having a terrible time trying to line it up right. It will spin the motor, but it makes terrible screeching noises. Sometimes it won't engage properly. Are there any tricks to shimming top mount starters? Anybody got any info/advise for me? I need to get this thing ready for the summer.
    Thanks
    Nubbs

steelcomp
    Is it a reverse rotation?

Nubbs
    Is it a reverse rotation?
    Yes.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Try a washer between the top bolt and the housing. I have a top-mount tho and it has never required any shimming. A friend of mine was having trouble like yours but I do not recall what his final solution was/the real problem was.
    Not to be insulting,,, but are you sure the flexplate is on right side out? It does alter the location of the ring teeth.

Nubbs
    Try a washer between the top bolt and the housing. I have a top-mount tho and it has never required any shimming. A friend of mine was having trouble like yours but I do not recall what his final solution was/the real problem was.
    Not to be insulting,,, but are you sure the flexplate is on right side out? It does alter the location of the ring teeth.
    It came with a bottom mount starter. I added the top mount starter. I didn't do anything to the flexplate. How do I tell if it's right side out?
    Nubbs

502 JET
    Most flexplates have raised lip around the center hole were it fits on the crank.The lip should face out away from the motor.

Nubbs
    Well, I finally got it working right. I had to remove some material from the starter housing so the starter gear could sit deeper in the ring gear. Not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I think it will be well worth it. It sounds much better without the screeching noises.
    Nubbs