Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder Brace Question???

sifocalpoint
    Ok, My rudder shaft comes threw the floor of the boat then into the stuffing box?? Is that what that things called. Then above the stuffying box is a flat piece that runs between the stringers. It is a flat aluminum piece that is obviously made by Hallcraft cause thats what it says on it, and it has raised ribs on the outside edge and in the middle. It is mounted to the stringers with 2 small aluminum angles.
    What is the name of this piece....is it a rudder brace??
    Anyhow its ugly and i dont like it, so could i just make one out of a 1/2" piece of aluminum. Will the aluminum be strong enough, or does the hallcraft one have the ribs for extra strength?? Does this part rely on strength?
    Thanks Guys

dmontzsta
    Yes, that is the rudder brace. Why dont you just polish it out? or have it powdercoated?

lucky
    girlies like ribs ypou could build one - hell most of those are cast anyways - I'd hit the billit up and go to a thicker stock - and build a stronger unit - don't forget to run two saftey collars

superdave013
    I used some angle for mine. Here is a shot before it was done.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...upport-med.JPG

sifocalpoint
    SuperDave.....that brace looks really nice, ill make one similar to yours. I was going to polish mine, but theres nothing i hate more than shitty casting marks.
    Thanks

dmontzsta
    I used some angle for mine. Here is a shot before it was done.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...upport-med.JPG
    Nice stuff and a look into the sweet performance warehouse, look at all that SS line, woo hoo.

schiada96
    Ok, My rudder shaft comes threw the floor of the boat then into the stuffing box?? Is that what that things called. Then above the stuffying box is a flat piece that runs between the stringers. It is a flat aluminum piece that is obviously made by Hallcraft cause thats what it says on it, and it has raised ribs on the outside edge and in the middle. It is mounted to the stringers with 2 small aluminum angles.
    What is the name of this piece....is it a rudder brace??
    Anyhow its ugly and i dont like it, so could i just make one out of a 1/2" piece of aluminum. Will the aluminum be strong enough, or does the hallcraft one have the ribs for extra strength?? Does this part rely on strength?
    Thanks Guys
    Superdaves is very nice but 1/2 x 3 bar wold be plenty strong

superdave013
    what fun would that be?

johnmiller
    Actually called the "Upper Rudder Support"
    If you make one like Dave's, make sure you fit a 1" bushing into it.

GofastRacer
    This is how I made mine but it's a circle boat and it's common practice to tie the the stringers to the transom for more support!..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...er_Support.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast