Thread: Whats A Safe Amount Of Tongue Weight For A Trailer??

Sanger D
    should the trailer tongue be just off the ground whenits off the hitch by itself or should it be pretty heavy to lift???mine seems to be kinda heavy to get on the hitch,I see some guys trailers doin a balancing act just off the ground about6 in. high.light weight tongue makes the trailer dance down the road does,nt it?

GofastRacer
    A 100lbs is ideal!..

wsuwrhr
    My jet is a TON. I can't get it off without a jack. The wheels are way too far back.
    The rule of thumb, as I have always read, is 10% of the total should be tongue weight.
    2000 lbs trailer weight = 200 lbs tongue weight
    Brian

Sanger D
    I can lift it myself even with my bad back,it feels like I,m liftin about 100 to 150 pounds so I guess its perfect.!! thanks ART and BRIAN.I won,t worry about it then.

GofastRacer
    I weighed mine at height and it's 105 and I don't even know it's behind me when I'm towing!..

CXWone
    I build alot of trailers and not just for boats. I always try to get atleast a hundred pounds on the coupler. Tandem or single axle. It helps make the trailer "TRACK" properly. Any less it will move around behind you. I hate that!!! All though I drive a 8000 pound duelley. I just found that weight to work best... :argue:

moneysucker
    Mine is a hoverer, It sits 6" off the ground but gets a little heavier around hitching heighth when it is on both springs or what ever the case is. Mine tracks great. I never even see it behind my dually

Norseman
    should the trailer tongue be just off the ground whenits off the hitch by itself or should it be pretty heavy to lift???mine seems to be kinda heavy to get on the hitch,I see some guys trailers doin a balancing act just off the ground about6 in. high.light weight tongue makes the trailer dance down the road does,nt it?
    I've always heard that about 10% of the weight should be on the ball. It seems to work very well, and I pull trailer that range from 1000 lbs loaded to 12,000 lbs loaded.
    Bob