Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which N/A efi motors?

SummerObsession
    GT spends YOUR MONEY ON YOUR MOTOR! No hype, no BS, just good parts, the correct knowledge, and PURE RELIABLE POWER. He once ran a blown gas drag boat motor ALL season, with just a valve spring change. He won his class in IHBA that year! You can "buy a name" or you can "buy a motor", GT MARINE delivers, at realistic prices.
    I've heard that as well.
    I don't know if I trust ex drag racers though.

DogHouse
    Thanks for the offer! You're right about the parts. However, I do want to swap out the cranks. 4130 isn't always the SAME 4130 if you know what I mean. :wink: To get reliable horses, I would eliminate the weakest link. Everything else is top notch!
    The reason for efi, IMHO, is NOT for power. Carbs will make just as much or MORE at WOT. Idling, dock manners, a clean transom, etc. etc. are the main drivers for me. I am looking into a program that would allow an easy change between 91 octane and 110 octane fuel as well. A little timing and a fuel curve change and it might run pretty well at the shootout and on other special occasions! :wink:
    I've got a Scat crank in mine as well. Haven't had any issues at all, and it regularly sees 6k+. We dyno'd to 6500. If you're going to cam up such that you need to spin higher than that, you won't be idling low enough to keep those Bravos happy while shifting!

SummerObsession
    I've got a Scat crank in mine as well. Haven't had any issues at all, and it regularly sees 6k+. We dyno'd to 6500. If you're going to cam up such that you need to spin higher than that, you won't be idling low enough to keep those Bravos happy while shifting!
    Hence, the efi. :wink:
    I'm not going to twist it hard enough to need mechanical lifters. I don't like adjusting valves that well. Been there done that too many times after each 1/4 mile.
    It just needs to breathe with a little more compression.
    Scat's are OK for most things, but pressure the extra rod length puts on the the crank with 580 cubes is the worry.
    Puls, I run WOT for miles at a time at LOTO.

DogHouse
    Uh, I'm running a 598, 4.5" crank, 6.8" rods, reeeeeeealy short pistons, 800+ hp. I run mechanical rollers but only because they allow for cam profiles that make more power, not for the rpm potential. I check/adjust every 20 hours or so. Yes the EFI helps with idle because you can really fine tune and run IAC, but still if you run too wild a cam, you're not going to get it to idle well enough to make a Bravo drive happy. If you stick to hydraulic rollers, you won't have enough duration to even worry about idle quality, it'll be fine. It's when you get into the high 260-270 range @.050 that idle turns to sh!t, and hydraulics usually don't go that high.
    Assuming your motor is balanced well (mine's internal), really, you have no worries with the Scat crank. But hey, it's your $$$, spend 'em if you like!

SummerObsession
    I agree with you regarding the cranks. I really don't lay awake at night worry about them, but when it hits rebuild time, I will probably replace them. By the time you sell the old ones and buy new, it's not that much. Might go with a few more cubes anyway.

TYREPEDDLER
    My new boat's heeded for GT's monday. 588/efi 750 I haven't here anything bad. I'm a long ways from ca if i have problems.

Jrocket
    My new boat's heeded for GT's monday. 588/efi 750 I haven't here anything bad. I'm a long ways from ca if i have problems.
    What boat will that be?

TPI
    GT spends YOUR MONEY ON YOUR MOTOR! No hype, no BS, just good parts, the correct knowledge, and PURE RELIABLE POWER. He once ran a blown gas drag boat motor ALL season, with just a valve spring change. He won his class in IHBA that year! You can "buy a name" or you can "buy a motor", GT MARINE delivers, at realistic prices.
    BKB,
    Thanks for the encouragement, but I think these guys are referring to Gary Teague "GT". Who happens to be a very good guy. I think I am going to have to change my ID to TPB. My site has some good motor info also: www.TPBOATS.com.............. Only for CA residents though. I like to service/maintain my own motors.............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12