Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 fuel pump??

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
    :idea: Ok here's the problem me and my dad rebuilt his 455 Olds last summer. We put the Edelbrock marine carb, torker manifold, and Edelbrock heads. When it came time to fire it, it wouldn't fire. Problem no fuel pressure. We used a hand pump to pump gas to the carb, then It fired right up... The problem we're having is the fuel pressure is only around 3 psi at idle and vurtually nothing at cruise. Needless to say this is hurting performance. Any suggestions were to get a new marine pump or some one who rebuilds fuel pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :argue:

Before just replacing the pump, have you isolated the problem to the pump? Try running off of a separate fuel supply to eliminate any hose/tank/filter/blocked tank vent problem. If you rebuilt the engine, did you get the fuel pump eccentric properly reinstalled on cam?
    Most of the guys running open engines end up using a standard fuel pump. My old Olds ran for 15+ years on a stock AC Delco automotive pump with no problems. Might still have it down in the garage........

Taylorman
    I have the mechanical holley on mine with dual edelbrocks and i have a consistent 7 psi. Summit has them for about $50. Make sure its not a fuel line problem.

NELSON#109
    when i was 15 yrs old or so, i rebuilt the 455 in my old mans boat. i ran into the exact same problem you have. took me a while to figure it out. i was used to chevys, and i instaled the fuel pump the same way you would on a chevy. they will bolt up either way. wrong..... they mount upside down on olds 455's. i felt pretty stupid, but i learned something. plus all my friends couldnt figure it out either, so their retards too. im sure you didnt make the same mistake i did, but just a thought.

Nelson, good point!! I had forgotten about that.
    Here's a pic (from Mondello's site) showing the correct orientation.
    http://www.mondellotwister.com/DShaw2.gif

Taylorman
    did you ever get this problem figured out?

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
    Haven't had a chance to work on it lately. Probably going to use a car pump and modify it to accept a fitting for the clear hose to the carb. :idea:

Back Forty
    Sounds like a plan!

Old Guy
    These folks might have a repair kit.
    http://www.egge.com/
    Their specialty is obsolete parts.

Sangster
    We had an Old Tahiti Daycruiser once that had a 455 Olds....Had the same problem...Turn the fuel pump over and make sure it's installed correctly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast