Thread: wire off of the alternator going???

Essex29
    I have a wire going from the alternator to another spot on the motor...would that be the starter?
    What are they wires that usually come off of the alternator and where do they go?

1stepcloser
    I have a wire going from the alternator to another spot on the motor...would that be the starter?
    If it's orange, and about 3/16", then yes, it goes to the battery lug on the starter. (as slong as it's stock Mercury)
    What are they wires that usually come off of the alternator and where do they go?
    For Mercury, (and most other's) there is
    1) Orange wire to battery. (usually connect's to the battery lug on the starter)
    2) Red wire from battery source. (ususally the engine circuit breaker)
    3) Purple wire from a switched (ignition) battery source. (usually tied with power for the audible warning system)
    4) Black wire to ground. (usually the engine block.
    This is for most Mercury stuff prior to the 496 stuff.... I am not to familiar with the modern electronics. ie: SmartCraft.....
    Save the greif and convert to a "one wire" alternator.

probablecause
    It could be going to a starter solenoid or it it might be a dash indicator light. Could also be a ground wire. You would have to provide more information on the Alternator.

Essex29
    It could be going to a starter solenoid or it it might be a dash indicator light. Could also be a ground wire. You would have to provide more information on the Alternator.
    I wish I could.....I can barely see it!

probablecause
    What color and size of wire is it? Try calling the boat manufacturer because they might be able to tell you more about it. If it is black and thick (no pun intended) and it is definitely going to your engine block, it is probably a ground.