Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sub general knowledge

Toomstone
    if im looking at a sub that has peak power of 1000 watts and rms of 300...do i want to put a 300 watt amp in not to hurt the sub or can you go alot closer to 1000 watts without blowing it? also if it has daul 2ohms....what does that mean? and how does that affect the type of amp i have to buy?

riverbound
    You are far more likely to blow a sub from distortion than overpowering. It has always been my recommendation to run as much power as you can to speakers. Running the min. ammount of power to a speaker will mean you will push the amplifier much harder to move the speaker. The harder you push the amp the more distortion you will induce into the speakers. More distortion equals more damage to the speaker.
    Basically. you want to run more "clean" power to your speakers to prevent them from blowing.

ROZ
    TS, There was a time when dvc speakers(dual 2ohn voicecoils in your case) were constructed a litle different. That day has long gone. DVC's for the most part just give you a greater variation in wiring configuration when running multiple drvers when trying to target a specific load for an amp
    Does it effect the amp you buy? Yes. Try to match the amp's RMS rating at the power rating you want and get the correct impedance sub that will RMS at near the same RMS as the amp puts out :mix: For example. If an amp puts out 300RMS with a load of 2ohms at 14.4 volts a subwoofer wired at 2 ohms with a 250-350RMS will match up
    You'd be surprised ow much power a quality speaker can handle from a clean am, but even then you're burning the candle at both ends...
    300RMS 1k peak... You looking at Alpine subs?

Toomstone
    ya, im looking at a alpine swr-1021d. what would be a good amp to run with that? im looking to get most of the stuff online then get it installed somewhere.
    Thanks
    Toomstone :crossx:

Phat Matt
    ya, im looking at a alpine swr-1021d. what would be a good amp to run with that? im looking to get most of the stuff online then get it installed somewhere.
    Thanks
    Are you running one sub?

Toomstone
    theres no subs in there right now and i just want to get one because thats all i can fit without getting a custom box

Phat Matt
    If you got the Alpine SWR-1041D (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=368) (dual 4 ohm voice coil) instead you could wire it in parallel to show a 2ohm load on the amp and run the Alpine MRD-M301 (http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpmrdm301)
    That set up should sound just fine and still pretty cheap!

Toomstone
    whats the difference between daul 4ohm and daul 2ohm? and do you need two channels or bridge a single channel amp?

ROZ
    The difference will dictate the overall load on your amp. If you want to play at 2ohm you'll need the 4ohm version. On a single subwoofer with the coils wired parallel you'll end up 2ohm... Get the mono sub amp that is stable to 2ohm.. the alpine matt suggested will work fine in a single driver application. Also, the amp is controlable from an ALpine headunit....

Toomstone
    if a single channel amp that has a 1000watt max but says 400 wattx1 at 2ohms, and the apline sub has daul 2ohms....will i be getting 800 watts to the sub?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast