Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jesel belt drive

smokin
    do any of you guys no if them jesel belt drives are worth the $680.00 bucks I have a pete jackson gear drive now but thinking of getting one of them belts. they say it only makes 10 more hp but its better for the valve train??? craig
    [This message has been edited by smokin (edited October 19, 2001).]

superdave013
    You should get that Pete Jackson out of there quick. The duel idler gears are not attached to the cover on those and they put load on the bearings. I know lots of people running the Jessel belt drive and they all like 'em. What makes them so nice is you can change you cam timming easy. I, myself run a donivan gear drive and it has treated me well for a number of years.

smokin
    thanks superdave, I take it your talking about the cam bearings I haven't had any problems with the cam bearing yet but who nows I might. yea plus you can change the cam easy to you don't have to take the hole cover off.. craig

Clutch
    Hey Superdave
    What's up w/ the pj gear drive? Loading the bearings? Tell me more of what you think is wrong w this set up.Smokin the jesel is good but if your not going to be playing w/the camtiming all the time it's a waste of money in my opinion.Just my .02

smokin
    I'm not going to be playing around with cam timming once I set it where it should be thats it. I just thought it would be a lot better on the valve train less vibration. save some wear .. craig

superdave013
    The PJ gear drive or any other grar drive that does not have a fixed idler gear is a bad deal because. The gears on the crank and cam turn the same direction and this will push one of the idler gears out away from the top & bottom gears and at the same time will pull the other side in towards the top and bottom gears. This will try push the cam and crank gears apart causing more load on the cam and main bearings. A gear drive that has only a single idler gear attaches the gear to the cover. It is bolted in place and can not move.

superdave013
    Originally posted by smokin:
    I'm not going to be playing around with cam timming once I set it where it should be thats it. I just thought it would be a lot better on the valve train less vibration. save some wear .. craig
    I have hear that they have less vibration too. I have never seen anything from Jessle that is not frist rate. But you know if your not running a roller cam and valve springs that have 320# at the seat a cloyes true roller chain is hard to beat for the buckage. But if you gotta have the superwhammy ultra trick part, go with the jessel.

smokin
    yea I'm running a comp roller 748 lift 287 duration triple springs. harland sharp roller rockers and a stud girdle.. craig

superdave013
    That's a pretty big cam you've got there. I used to run those same rockers. I borke one and replaced them with some from Clay Smith. The harland sharp broke right at the trunion. A chunk of it when thru the oil pump. Life went down hill real quick after that!

froggystyle
    Ya know, I broke two Harlan Sharps at the trunion as well. Separate occurrances. Both resulted in stripped keepers and sucked valves. Replaced the first one with another extra HS, and then switched to Crower rollers and dug them the most.
    Did you have any problems with the adjustment nuts backing off on you???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast