Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 to 454

DanC
    Haven't posted here for quit some time. Mostly due to the fact my boat has been up the creek so to speak.
    455 olds took a dump, Mostly my fault, Cracked block and I need to replace the whole engine. I'm not looking for big horses right now, just a usable boat.
    Question is, having difficulty finding a replacement 455 to bolt in and go, I may however be able to get my hands on a good running 454. How hard is it going to be to locate motor mounts and drive coupler to change over. Also, I would like to stay with the thru transom exhaust.
    Don't mean to stir things up between Chev and Olds. Just need reccomendations on the quicest cheapest way to get back on the water.
    Thanks in advance.

EMCAM
    I have never done the olds to chevy swap but i do have a set of mounts i will send to you for a good price. I had a taylor with an olds and was going to swap it but my buddy bought my boat,so i have a set of motor plates with mounting feet . If you are interested e mail me illl give more info. 396 ways to spit got the plates for me so he can answer question about them to. good luck

Boatcop
    Check on ebay, too. There's always mounts of one sort or another on there.

Sleek-Jet
    It's only 1 cubic inch difference... can't be that hard...
    Hopefully someone will see this thread, lot's of guys have pulled their mounts and gone with a rail mount. Check the old "Parts swap meet" thread that's now in the classified section. Bound to be something in there that will work.

Mighty Thor
    Question is, having difficulty finding a replacement 455 to bolt in and go, .
    You aren't that far from Portland, you should be able to find a 455 there fairly easy. Lots of old wagons, Deltas etc they had 455's You can use a well broken in auto motor for a boat and should be OK. If you need, you can have it bored and rebuilt. Trying to buy the Chevy marine stuff can get spendy if you don't have anything to start with.

DanC
    Thanks for the input. Not much on E-bay right now, Have to keep checking. Seems by the time I find all the necessary parts, I'll be looking at winter again. I'll just have to keep looking for both and see what comes up first.

CARLSON-JET
    If you are going to do the swap a little bit of info is needed to help you along. What kind of mounts are on it now 3 or 4 point? How do you want to mount the next power plant? I made mine a 3 point again. A set of BBC logs are not hard to find. I bet there are 3 or 4 sitting in various members garages/sheds this minute. The basic BBC parts I had to gather That were specific were 454, logs & snails & intake manifold. The rest could be SBC or BBC. front motor mounts, belhousing, flex plate,1310 shaft and adapter, Dist., single crank pully & starter. I used my olds alternator and all the wiring and hoses that were already in place. I made a few changes but that was the basic setup.

abraman1326
    I've seen a couple 455 marine motors for sale recently. Might have been in the spam section, or on craigslist sacramento or SF bay. You might look there for either motor you are looking for. Good luck. I was going to make the swap from a 460 to a 454 this winter, but never got it going. If you do do it, please let me know your progress. I am still interested in making the swap sometime soon...
    BRA

Knucklehead
    Motor mountshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JET-BOAT-JETBOAT-BBC-CHEVY-454-RAT-MOTOR-MOUNTS-RACE_W0QQitemZ4632911650QQcategoryZ50442QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

DanC
    Found a 455 locally for 75 bucks so looks like that'll be the way to go. It hasn't run for about 5 years, but at least it's a good block.
    Now the hard part begins...
    Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast