Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 455 to 454

CARLSON-JET
    Danc, congrats on the score. 455's are getting harder to find every year. around these parts we have alot of Olds guys and they are getting scarce. I looked for about 4 months and could not come up with one for less then $500. I was able to get a marine 454 for $500 that had been poorly rebuilt so I went ahead and went through it to be sure. I was glad I did because I discovered a few issues that might have turned ugly. The 455 Olds I had was cracked but ran fine for 7 years. I went to put some better heads on and discovered the cracking issues. Be sure you winterize it when the time comes. Depending on how bad and where the old block is cracked, somebody local might be interested in it. I sold my cracked unbored 455 block for $50 to a guy who wanted to fill it. So there is life after death on an olds. Good luck with the new to you Olds.

DanC
    Out of curiousity, what's the difference between the marine and automotive engines? Are the blocks different or do they just have different heads. Guess I never got the scoop on that one.

CARLSON-JET
    From what I could tell, it was the pan and the numbers stamped on the block. It might have come with a diffrent cam but that had been replaced. the oil filter mount was also different then the truck. On the olds I believe there is no difference.

Sleek-Jet
    Don't know which way you decided to go Dan... but you might check this out..
    Motor mount spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...=1#post1932448)

SmokinLowriderSS
    Out of curiousity, what's the difference between the marine and automotive engines? Are the blocks different or do they just have different heads. Guess I never got the scoop on that one.
    Make sure you do some searching the board here and get the oil system mods done to that car engine to get it to live at high-revs. The olds has drainback trouble and will, if given half an opportunity, pump everything in the pan into the valve covers before it can drain out, then start making un-funny noises. Congrats on the find. :boxed:

TIMINATOR
    The new issue of ***boat (the magazine), BIG OLDS ARTICLE! 12 pages! Details how to make HP and make it live. Also look for the upcoming article on costs and issues on the Olds to Chevy changeover. That will be in a couple of months. TIMINATOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12