Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about direct drive...

steelcomp
    In jet boats, our direct drives (vs. u-joints) are a splined Lenco type shaft, which isn't really good for anything but drag racing. The splines will heat up with continued use beyond an acceptable range. How does this drive compare with, or differ from, the direct drives used in your circle boats? This is the picture that I saw which made me think about it.
    http://c.myspace.com/00072/99/13/72293199_l.jpg

steelcomp
    Anyone??? Come on, guys.

Don't know exactly what the jet guys are running. My revenge circle racer is running the same deal as the boat in the pick. Female splined coupler on the balancer, solid shaft slips inside. A fairly common setup on circle boats. which run long durations.

EXTREMEBOATS
    :messedup: This is a good question for Gofast, I would think seen as circle boats run hot laps unlike your going out to play v-drive, they should hold up.Im not sure how hot the spline would get, maybe there able to keep them lubed up. Hell Art, what about it???? Oh its me, my fricken dial up piece of crap is working real good. I was surprised Kris let me use hers!!! Yes shes standing rite over me..Its just not fair Mike

steelcomp
    Don't know exactly what the jet guys are running. My revenge circle racer is running the same deal as the boat in the pick. Female splined coupler on the balancer, solid shaft slips inside. A fairly common setup on circle boats. which run long durations.
    Just a short Lenco splined shaft. Some only a few inches, others as much as 12". There are tales of couplers getting red hot, adn I've seen pics of some that looked like they had been that hot. Jetters are warned against them for lake use due to the heat. I think it's more due to poor alignment than anything. Do you have heat issues wioth your drivelines?? Are they splined on both ends?..or is the coupler at the v-drive different? Is your shaft floating, or is it clamped in with a split coupler? Wait...let me think about that...nope...that wouldn't work. Never mind.

Roman 1
    Just a short Lenco splined shaft. Some only a few inches, others as much as 12". There are tales of couplers getting red hot, adn I've seen pics of some that looked like they had been that hot. Jetters are warned against them for lake use due to the heat. I think it's more due to poor alignment than anything. Do you have heat issues wioth your drivelines?? Are they splined on both ends?..or is the coupler at the v-drive different? Is your shaft floating, or is it clamped in with a split coupler? Wait...let me think about that...nope...that wouldn't work. Never mind.
    Where does this guy come from!!!! :messedup:
    R1

GofastRacer
    Ok I'll take a stab at this, the driveline in the pic is "solid" not floating, it is coupled at the v-drive in the same manner as the prop shaft, the motor end is plined with a flage that bolts to a flange on the crank, it's not floating like couplers and this requires the motor be lined up dead nuts no +/-!.. Now I'm not a ditch pump owner so I'll have to guess at this, there is no reason for a Lenco drive to get hot, it don't know where or care where it's at!. With a Lenco you are allowed(this is what they told me) 2 degrees "per" coupler of missalignment which makes it a floating shaft!.. Now I'm betting you're not using a coupler on both ends of the shaft(please correct me if I'm wrong on this), I'm guessing you're using a button on the crank and a coupler on the pump!. If that's the case, you've just made that into a solid driveline and that requires the motor to be dead on, if you just jockey it around so you can slip the coupler on that ain't gonna cut it, it will be binding which is the cause for heat!..Put the motor in dead nuts and it won't heat up, I'll be putting a Lenco in my GN but with a coupler on each end!...Hope I guessed right on this!.. :redface:

Jake W2
    Its been said that the front to back movement on the Lenco shaft of a jet causes the heat.
    The guy with a fake name (Roman 1)ask some one who shows his real name boat projects ect where they come from. :messedup: Mabey you can show your real identy so when you dog people they know who you are.Where are the rest of you guys like the nuts,Jimmy Jam jam,Mike Oxbig at least thoes guys are funny .
    Jake

GofastRacer
    Its been said that the front to back movement on the Lenco shaft of a jet causes the heat.
    Jake
    How do you get front to back movement??. If the shaft goes in a button on the crank there's a safety collar on the shaft in front of the coupler and if set right the shaft can't go nowhere!.

Jake W2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast