Thread: shut jacket question

anger management
    How would one go about inspecting a jacket that appears to have been sitting around for some time,as far as the shut being in good condition.Is that something that can be done at home or would you have to have it done by a pro.Pos part of a recert.

steelcomp
    How would one go about inspecting a jacket that appears to have been sitting around for some time,as far as the shut being in good condition.Is that something that can be done at home or would you have to have it done by a pro.Pos part of a recert.
    If you take out the chute, I was told that it has to be repacked by the mfgr to be cert'd. Certs are only good for 2 yrs, so I'd send it in. They'll do everything it needs. :coffeycup

MudPumper
    I'd test it by jumping off the roof of your house.

HoffmanEagleMarine
    AM, Send it to the manufacturer, they do the re-cert. If it's a LLine, Bill will get it done and ship back quick! Doug

Chances are good the jacket will be fine after a re-cert from Lifeline. I see some really old jackets still in use out at the races. Pick it up, if the price is right.
    CS

bigkatboat
    Recertification by a qualified shop (Lifeline) is a must, for peace of mind and to race legally. Taking the chute out of it's pack is a normal thing. We would do it about 3 times a season. We were looking for mildew, rough or frayed materials, and any rust on the spring, latch, and lanyard to the jacket straps. If a ring, or strap were to detach, you would be JERKED around into unhealthfull positions, like ripping your (fill in the blank) ........ off. 1, neck 2,head 3,arm 4 di%k Play it safe!