Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting by the engine?

Hemicbx
    What's anybody think about lifting the back of the boat by the engine?
    I want to paint my trailer and I was thinking I could lift the back by the motor, lift the front by a sling around the bow eye. Similar to what Squitcha? did. I figured then I could set everything down on tires & stuff for a couple days.
    My concern is: Can the stringers support the hanging weight of the hull?
    Anyone else done this before? Any input would be appreciated.
    Hemicbx

MudPumper
    If you have the engine hoist, just pull the motor then lift from the bow and the pump. I don't know about you but my motor comes out in about 15 min. Never tried lifting the boat by the motor.

Squirtin Thunder
    If I were to do it that way I would hook to the engine and the pump and the eyelets on the transom for the extra safty. Also depending on what size bolts are used to hold the engine in place and the type of mounting system you have, 3pt or 4pt. It never hurts to have too much suport. But that is just me.
    Good Luck
    Jim

Unless it's a god-awful heavy boat, you should be fine lifting by the engine. I've done it that way a couple times. The boats in question were a 16" Tahiti and an 18" Tahiti. Both had the typical cast aluminum 4-point mounts. In both cases, the front was lifted by a sling attached to the bow eye using a block and tackle from a rafter.
    I have also lifted the rear of a 3-point mount 18 footer by the engine, but only for a quick trailer adjustment.

Squirtin Thunder
    I would think if it was a three point mount you would have more suport, being it is atached to the pump, bottom of boat and transome.
    But it is always good to have a safety net !!!

moneysucker
    I do it all the time, We have to do that every time we pull the motor on the duck because it has the upper deck on the trailer for the golf cart so the motor will not clear the boat unless we pull it back on the trailer so the hoist misses the platform. That is with a rail kit. The stringers support the motor which weighs more than your hull. it will not be a problem. Just extend the legs all the way out in every direction on the hoist for stability. Have fun and get to work. the season is coming fast
    Cy

bp
    i've lifted mine that way several times, but i have not pulled the trailer out from under it while it's up, because that wasn't why i lifted it.
    i think i'd have something besides tires to set it down on though. i'd want it to be at about the same height as it was when on the trailer, so it would be somewhat simple to get it back on. with the tunnels, it's pretty simple to come up with something to hold it for awhile.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    I have never lifted my boat by the motor, but I've heard horror stories about ripping the stringers right out of the boat!!! I don't know if it's true but stringers are glassed into the hull after the shell is laided up. They were never designed to take alot of stress that direction. I'd rather be safe than ruin my boat or cause delamination for later problems. Budlight

Jeanyus
    I lifted mine by the engine, no problem. My hull is not heavy. It seems to me that if you pull up on the motor and it rips the stringers out, then you got rotten stringers. Or a super heavy boat.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...859onjacks.jpg
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...flyingboat.jpg

Hemicbx
    Thanks for all the input. It's not a super heavy boat (18ft Kachina) in terms of size, not sure how heavy they laid things up. My thought was similar to Budlight in that stringers weren't made to load in that direction, but getting input from those who've done it before is a big help.
    MudPumper's right, an engine pull is a quick thing . . . I'm just being lazy I guess.
    Hemicbx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast