Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunk-Boards replacement Question...

JT2Fast4U
    Hi. I'm planning to replace my bunk-boards on my boat trailer the next time I take my boat out, as they are looking pretty weathered & the carpet is a little torn-up too. I was wondering if I need any "special" type of 2x6's (that's what they appear to be anyway) for this replacement? If they are "special", where could I purchase these at? I'm in Southern Cal. (high desert). Also, what kind of alterations will I be looking at too fit these things on? (ie:drilling, sawing, hardware, etc.) Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be prepared when I replace them, as I'll be doing it in the parking lot of where I launch my boat at (Silverwood Lake). My boat is a 18ft. Challenger jetboat & I'm not sure of the brand of trailer it is, but it is a double axle trailer, if that matters. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I appreciate it very much. Thanks again...JT2Fast4u

ONAROLL
    Hi. I'm planning to replace my bunk-boards on my boat trailer the next time I take my boat out, as they are looking pretty weathered & the carpet is a little torn-up too. I was wondering if I need any "special" type of 2x6's (that's what they appear to be anyway) for this replacement? If they are "special", where could I purchase these at? I'm in Southern Cal. (high desert). Also, what kind of alterations will I be looking at too fit these things on? (ie:drilling, sawing, hardware, etc.) Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be prepared when I replace them, as I'll be doing it in the parking lot of where I launch my boat at (Silverwood Lake). My boat is a 18ft. Challenger jetboat & I'm not sure of the brand of trailer it is, but it is a double axle trailer, if that matters. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I appreciate it very much. Thanks again...JT2Fast4u
    JT2, you need "treated"(IMPREGNATED) 2x6's available at any lumber yard,couple bucks higher than non treated but will last longer, measure the overall length of your current bunks and cut your new ones to the same length before you leave home, count the number of bolts that secure the bunks to the trailer and buy new ones(same size) with nuts and washers, be sure you buy "carriage bolts", measure new carpet and have it precut before you get to the lake, get an industrial staple gun loaded with stainless staples and a box of extras, take a cordless drill with appropriate bit to drill new holes into new bunks, take a die grinder and extension cord with you in case the bolts currently on the trailer are rusty, take a hammer and a sharpie pen too. OK, now your at the lake with your boat off the trailer, get the old bunks off, if the bolts that secure the bunks are rusty or "spin out" while your trying to remove them, take the die grinder and extension cord and plug into power at a campsite or anywhere you can, your other option is hacksawing them off, (this sucks) when they are gone, lay your new bunks without carpet onto the trailer brackets and get them straight, when they are straight get under them and mark the holes with the sharpie, drill the appropriate holes just a hair smaller than your new carriage bolts so they will be snug in the holes without splitting the 2x6's, tap the carriage bolts through the holes, when the head of the carriage bolts meet the 2x6's hammer them flat into the wood so they wont spin when you bolt them down, now,cover the 2x6's with carpet and start stapling them down,(use the longest staples you can get for your gun) staple one side and pull tight and staple the other side, fold the ends like wrapping a package, lay your new bunks back into place and your bolts should go into the right holes on the trailer, bolt em down, yer done.....
    and dont use Astro Turf its way 70's.............Vic

LUVNLIFE
    You can also buy wooden bunks that are already carpeted to save you a little time and hassle. West Marine has them and not a bad price either. :wink:

Jeanyus
    I went with Douglas Fir, for my bunks, the old ones lasted 30 years, so I didn't see the need for the treated, a lot of treated lumber is made of Hemlock Fir which is a weaker wood. It is important to sort through the pile and look for as few knots as possible, and look at the end grain, avoid boards that come from the center of the tree, where the end grain looks like a bullseye.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...59newbunks.jpg

1978 Rogers
    What about Cedar, anyone ever try using Cedar?

napabob
    This is the type of lumber I will be using on my Foto Grafix trailer.
    http://www.jeffersonlumber.com/produ...901216083.html
    Wolmanized lumber is used for marine applications. A web search will give you more examples of its applications.

moneysucker
    I have 2x12 bunks on mine and I used un treated doug fir and used a ton of thompsons water seal on it to protect it. I figure the carpet will be gone before the wood. and i will replace it all at the same time again. I also used galvanized lags to secure them to the trailer. I recomend using gavanized or SS hardware for the bolts too.

dmontzsta
    I have 2x12 bunks on mine and I used un treated doug fir and used a ton of thompsons water seal on it to protect it. I figure the carpet will be gone before the wood. and i will replace it all at the same time again. I also used galvanized lags to secure them to the trailer. I recomend using gavanized or SS hardware for the bolts too.
    Same here.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    If you are good with a tape measure you can cut, drill and install the carpet before you ever leave for the water. simply unbolt the old and on with the new. I personally would glue the carpet and staple the edges. If you choose to use stainless hardware don't forget the anti-sieze compound. If you don't anti-sieze them it may involve a cutoff wheel or some sort of cutting tool next time you want to take them out.:messedup:
    Omega

JT2Fast4U
    Just wanted to say "Thank You" for all the info & the tips you guys left for me. I really appreciate it very much. After reading your replys, I'm sure I'll be prepared now for just about anything that might come up during this replacement. You have no idea how much you guys have helped me. You guys are awesome!!! Thanks again... JT2Fast4u
    P.S...Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have been without a computer for a couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast