Thread: water pressure regulator

lakecrazy
    How many of you run a water pressure regulator on the feed line from the jet pump?
    If so, how well do they work?

Wet Dream
    Not only that, but what parts are needed to make this work?

GlastronGuy
    I am going to give my $.02 on this, even thought I know I am in the minority.
    I tried a pressure regulator after the pump, before the engine. Nearly fried the motor as there was not enough pressure, at idle, to supply water to the motor. Instead, I drilled out and tapped into 2 water passages in the intake manifold. In one I installed a pressure gauge and in the other I installed the regulator. I then had my brother drive at WOT as I adjusted the regulator to 12PSI. No more milkshakes (this is an Olds) and no more hot spots in the motor. This is because the water is flowing full force to the motor, then restricted. It discharges thru transom.
    Flame on.
    Edited for spelling, or lack of.
    [This message has been edited by GlastronGuy (edited February 16, 2002).]

Banshee
    I have a water pressure regulator I bought from ARS marine maybe 6-8 years ago. I have had pretty good luck with it. Motor runs about 150- 160 at idle. About 120 WOT. River temp is around 80F. At idle no water is being discharged by the regulator. Not sure what engine speed the regulator opens up but I know that it’s only around 2-3K. Haven’t had any milkshake problems. It sounds like GlastronGuy is on to something though- might be worth a try. LVJetBoy has a more sophisticated arrangement he uses on his boat. There’s a diagram posted on another jet boat sight somewhere but I can’t remember where.

flat broke
    There are some cooling diagrams located here http://www.liquidaddiction.net/cooling.htm
    Hope that helps,
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)