Thread: Impeller removal, help?

Zeug
    I just spent the last hour removing the transom adapter. Silicone everywhere! What a pain in tha azz. But the sun was finaly out so I didnt mind that much.
    As soon as I yanked the bowl I noticed the MPD and a backwards B stamped on the Impeller. Hmmm and here I thought I was turning an A impeller! That is what is stamped on the Transom tag.
    I am turning 5200 rpms right now with my 455, tunnel ram and dual 660s. Problem is it feels like there is no hole shot and its cavitating. I figured the 5200 meant it might be an A impeller and was slipping alot. Either way i think I need to do a little pump work. Here are my questions. Hoping you guys can help a newbe out with some advise.
    Firt off, the impeller nut practically spun off with two fingers. But how do i pull the impeller on a Jacuzzi? Do I need to make a puller for the two threaded holes in the pic below?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...23IMG_1779.JPG
    My next question may be harder to answer. I am really hoping the pump was cavitating because the hole shot sucked big time compared to a friends boat. Looking at the pic below, would this impeller flaw cause cavitation that bad? Who do you recomend for fixing it, if it is repairable? Also I really want to keep under 5K rpms with the Olds, should I be looking at an A instead?
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...23IMG_1780.JPG
    Ok, one more question and I will shut up for now. How do I measure the wear ring clearance? Do I measure with the impeller out and compare the two measurements, or with a feeler guage and impeller installed?
    thanks guys,
    Kent

Danhercules
    I think a Call to MPD is in order. He is good about helping.
    (949) 631-2040 MPD

jdf
    dude you need a new impeller and yes a b will have a weak hole shot

Racer277
    Both of those dings in the pic will cause a lot of cavitation.
    You can see the effects of it on both the paint and the small holes (like pin pricks) on the impellor. This is caused during cavitation.
    It can prolly be worked on, but take to an expert, may be cheaper for new one, I don't know on boats.

Zeug
    Just spoke with Jack at MPD. If the impeller has MPD stamped on it then it has been worked over by Jack. Cool. Looking at about $200 or so to get him to repair and tune up. Not too bad I guess. Turnaround is 3-4 weeks right now.
    He also told me the Jacuzzi B is fairly close to the Berk A. So I feel better about that and the RPM im turning.
    Jacks trick to remove the impeller on the Jacuzzi involves no puller. Just loosen the bearing housing bolts 1/4 inch and push the impller against the pump housing. Heat the impeller, put a piece of hardwood on the shaft and give the shaft a good hit with a hammer. I'll be trying it later tonight.
    Also gave me a few insights to tuning up the bowl on my own. Very nice and helpfull.
    Thanks Dan.