Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Chinese threats

Freak
    Learn how to farm rice now. Job security for the future. Not trying to be funny. Dead serious. Just check the history books.
    Yes sir. Your right on the money with that one. Food production is the only thing that may keep the US in the game for a while longer.
    China doesn't really need the U.S. consumer if they ignite domestic demand. Which they're doing....

Freak
    In 20 years oil will not have the power it has today, hydrogen fuel cells will be the mode of power. Sleep Well
    Ahhhhh...The myth of alternatives....
    Oil & Gas Alternatives:
    The difficulty I encounter before I ever get to comparative analysis among technologies are the relationships which exist between these technologies & hydrocarbons.
    When evaluating alternatives I immediately want to know a couple of basic things.
    1) To what extent does relatively cheap hydrocarbon power today subsidize the alternative in question?
    2) How do the expected rates of return from investing in alternatives compare to expected oil & gas depletion rates?
    Until I answer these 2 basic questions, any comparisons are somewhat meaningless.
    I would argue that:
    1) Hydrocarbon energy massively subsidizes almost every aspect of our civilization to an extent which will render all known oil alternative technologies hopelessly expensive as oil prices rise.
    2) Rapid depletion from half a century of MRE wells will outstrip any potential alternative energy candidates (or indeed any combination) ability to compensate in a meaningful way.
    In other words, oil is just such a kick ass source of energy, even our most promising alternatives are an almost irrelevant consideration if we include oil's secret subsidy of these alternatives in the calculation.
    (Secret subsidy) is no secret. Meaning oil is used to manufacuture these alternatives. Solar panels, hydrogen fuel cells
    1) You need to roughly double the amount of available electricity to be able to generate enough hydrogen to use it for fuel in all the applications that oil is being used now. Doubling our electricity supply isn't trivial.
    2) Substituting all the current transport for hydrogen-burning transport isn't trivial.
    3) Making the infrastructure of hydrogen stations or equivalent isn't trivial.
    It's not an energy source. It's an energy LOSER. We will not be able to run our current way of life off of hydrogen. We can't produce it cheaply. We can't get without expended large amounts of energy. Our cars don't run on it. We can't make plastic from it.
    And even if we somehow figure out some wonderful new power source today, can we ramp it up to meet the anticipated depletion rates?
    I have almost no doubt that every technology I mentioned will indeed become viable sources of energy. On a small scale for the wealthy few.
    We have based our economy, food supply, transportation, and the whole shooting match on the unaudited assurances of a bunch of rug traders.
    How messed up is that........

spectras only
    Canada has the largest oil reserves in the world. The only problem is it's like goo and hard to extract without heated water by natural gas, [ since natural gas prices went up drastically ,there has to be another way ] far east oil is a lot cheaper as of now. Maybe some inventor will find a way to liquify [ micro wave or ultrasonic ] this goo and we're set for a while before switching to Ballard's power :sleeping:

spectras only
    Spectras, are you advocating that we invade Canada for their oil?
    Rio , I've rather have you guys , not the chineese to exploit our resources .Why is the gateway pipeline going from edmonton to the west, not south of the border :idea:

Freak
    Damn I`ve been asleep at the wheel. I haven`t read everything so I`m just gonna dive right in. China isn`t a Communist country. It is Nationalist. The alliances the US is "forcing" upon the rest of the global economy will hurt us. Carter did **** us with the Panama canal. Or did he? If I`ve said it once I`ve said it a million times, "the only way a global economy will work is when evryone is on the same pay scale.". With that being said there is no way in hell that will happen. Why? Its simple, supply and demand and more importantly GREED. We may be surprised that in 200 years we will have what we want and once again be a production economy. There are however 2 major problems I have with that. One is that we may not make it to that because of bankruptcy/hostile takeovers from other wealthy countries and two because if we are a production economy again that meens the US is the niggers of the rest of the world.
    Either way, trade with countries that don`t have the same economic, labor, and environmental laws as us WILL kill us.
    I agree, the crap pawned off as "free trade" is nothing more than corporations paying fat cats to play the labor spread between the have's and the have nots.
    If the workers in China were paid the same as workers here (e.g. a big screen TV worth of income in a month) then there would be virtually no trade with China. But they are not making that kind of income and so they get the jobs. Worse, because corporatists are nearly always miserly sots, they will hide the sausage by preaching free trade without preaching equality of purchasing power. Dishonest to the core. Yet do you see the high brow think tanks talking about "labor and wage spreads"? Nope. They're on the take from the corporatists who write the checks to keep the discussion limited to the kind of 10-second talking head crap that rolls out of Cyclops in the Living Room.
    That of course leaves us where we are now - about to further screw American workers out of decent wages and benefits because you can bet your ass that someone in the DR-CAFTAA area will do your job cheaper than you will and without benefits IF you have held onto those. But still, it's a GOOD corporate police state. Just keep tell'in yerself that.

Seadog
    Well the media has now started to pay attention to the threat now that China is trying to buy Unocal. They are already diverting Venezuelan oil to China and now they want to take the oil from our country. They are also trying to buy Maytag. Everyone got real bent when the japanese bought a bunch of American institutions and laughed when they lost their shirts.
    This is totally different. These are valuable resources being bought by a foreign country that has less than stellar relations with our country. They have a long history of human rights abuse, intellectual property piracy and currency manipulation
    The problem is that if we get too aggressive in denying China to invest, we make them an enemy. This can make things worse. We depend on China to maintain negotiations with rogue nations like North Korea and with nations like India that have military/political policies that can threaten an area.
    If we give into them, then we are doomed to have our economy destroyed. The loss of oil to drive our economy will cause a jobless spiral downward. People will not be able to afford to drive to work, manufacturers will have to curtail production and the overall standard of living will plummet. The gap between the rich and poor will grow.
    China is on track to be the second most powerful military in the world and in some ways can be the most dangerous. Worse, they have several allies and key control of a large area. They have the ability to nullify our allies like Japan, South Korea and others with little threat from us. They even have the ability to encompass Australia. There is a good chance that several South America countries would form an alliance or neutrality agreement with them. At the very best, Mexico would maintain neutrality and they could at some point form an alliance with China.
    While there are many nations that are progressive minded, most of the populations are poorly educated and have suffered under governments that do not allow dissident thought. I don't want to sound gloom and doom, but we are number one in a game of global King of the Hill.

HOSS
    We have buying power with our economy. Thats it! If we don`t buy then they die. Its really that simple. So how do you convince someone to pay more for America? You don`t. Your government in which you already pay should. Its our government that should stop buying from foreign countries. Our country is telling its citizens that morality has no place in law. OK, fine. Morality also has no place in economics foreign or domestic. So basically our human rights policies should not extend pass our borders since we can`t control another countries policies,,,right? Right. No trade with other countries not adopting our policies on environment, labor laws. Thats the only answer to the equation. Capitalism is coming to an end. Our government can no longer control it globally. Its too damn big. Face it,,,,Wal Mart will own everything. I don`t buy anything from them anymore. I can`t. I`m really turning my kid into a slave for them. Independents built this country and I`ll be damned if I let (from my money) help kill them.
    Funny how us Americans are so rooted in our past. Japan and the U.S. know that we are linked together from a possible takeover by China.

Seadog
    For those who only pay attention to the network news, a little tidbit today was a Chinese general that warned that if the U.S. comes to the aid of Taiwan when they attacked it, that China would respond with nukes. His remarks were refered to as 'personal opinion'. Coming from a general in a nation run by its military, is not opinion.

ROZ
    For those who only pay attention to the network news, a little tidbit today was a Chinese general that warned that if the U.S. comes to the aid of Taiwan when they attacked it, that China would respond with nukes. His remarks were refered to as 'personal opinion'. Coming from a general in a nation run by its military, is not opinion.
    I almost say let them take Taiwan.. Under China rule, many will seek asylum and the economy it provided will crumble.... Countries like Africa and Mexico should be promoting their inexpensive labor right now...

Steve 1
    Sounds like a threat!! I recommend nuclear carpet bombing..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567