Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swim Step Ideas

Hallett19
    Well, if you look at this picture, you can see that my reverse cable is not ideally placed. In fact, it is making the turning difficult and the operation of the reverse handle is hindered badly. I am not willing to go spend between $500 and $800 on billet swim steps and I really like the one I have but I am begining to think it will have to go with the addition of my new diverter.
    Now I know alot you are both crafty and wise so any other ideas for my reverse cable problem would be greatly appreciated.
    I moved the cable through all the slats of the swim step and none of them worked any better than how I have it now. I pulled the cord out more, and I pushed it in, but nothing is working well. I can't do the low profile Place system either
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...28MVC-007F.JPG

HOOTER SLED-
    Buy a Panther Jet. If you buy new swim steps, maybe you can mount them lower?? Not sure where your waterline is. Also, if you get single steps instead of one big one, maybe that will work???

hoolign
    Since you can get hydraulic diverter controls. why can't ya get hyraulic reverse bucket controls???
    Why can't you put s a droop snoot on it??

HOOTER SLED-
    DOh. My bad on the lower mount comment. That won't work. If you sill want a full swim step and are gonna go billet, call Dana. I'm sure they would be willing to make a custom one that you could somehow route your cable through. Or make your own cedar steps. I myself dig the full step too. When I change mine, I think I'll be going with a billet full step. No clearance problems for me. I'm hung like a Panther. Good luck man.

Hallett19
    Since you can get hydraulic diverter controls. why can't ya get hyraulic reverse bucket controls???
    My sentiment exactly !!
    I wouldnt mind getting split steps, but Dana steps are $$PRICEY$$ !! The swim step is right at water level, so that is fine, I just like the swim step how it is. I wouldnt mind drilling a hole in the swim step, but I definitley dont want to hack out the center of it or spend upwards of a grand to get a setup that will work.
    My last effort at saving this swim step would be to route the cable through one of the slats which gives it fine motion, pray nobody grabs at it to pull themselves up to the step, then notch out the step where the reverse cable hits when the diverter is in the full up position.

RiverDave
    H19, can you take the brackets off the big fiberglass step? If you can, then I can probably make you a set of swim steps (split) utilizing your old brackets for pretty cheap. Then your cable can just go up the middle between the steps.
    RD

HOOTER SLED-
    Aren't forward/reverse cables usually smaller in diameter??? That looks like a steering cable. NO wonder it's a bitch to flex. Are all Berks like that???? Maybe you can switch it out?? If it's possible. I've only owned Jacuzzi and a Panther. Both had smaller cables for forward/reverse. I wanna say the full Dana steps are around $800. It's been awhile since I priced them. Make your own cedar step.

Hallett19
    H19, can you take the brackets off the big fiberglass step? If you can, then I can probably make you a set of swim steps (split) utilizing your old brackets for pretty cheap. Then your cable can just go up the middle between the steps.
    I can take the brackets off and use them as a template for new steps no problem. I think I'm going to try notching the swim step with the dremel, its only a small area that hits when the wheel is turned all the way to the right. If that doesnt work right (God knows it will look like sh!t) then I will take you up on your offer. Can I get your signature on the tops cut into the billet ?

RiverDave
    I can take the brackets off and use them as a template for new steps no problem. I think I'm going to try notching the swim step with the dremel, its only a small area that hits when the wheel is turned all the way to the right. If that doesnt work right (God knows it will look like sh!t) then I will take you up on your offer. Can I get your signature on the tops cut into the billet ?
    Only if I can have an autorgraphed life sized poster of you on my wall.
    RD

BarryMac
    Only if I can have an autorgraphed life sized poster of you on my wall.
    RD
    Hmmm, that sounds really gay... :2purples: :wink:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast