Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swim Step Ideas

Tom Brown
    You should be able to mount a ball joint to the top, right side of that bucket fairly easily and then it wouldn't be a huge deal to make another bracket to hold the end of the cable. That way, the cable will go horizontal, instead of vertical. That should get the cable completely under the swim step with no sharp bends causing it to bind.
    If you go that route, make sure you mount the heim the same distance form the pivot point of the bucket as it is now and also make sure the angle of the cable ram is the same (just rotated about 90 degrees) so the lever still works the same.
    PS - I'm pretty sure hoolign is a fart sniffer

RiverDave
    I still dont know why you dont look for a small hydraulic actuator and install a small pump.
    That would be my route.. but I probably wouldn't use a pump.
    RD

Tom Brown
    I just thought of another potential option.
    You could go to Rex Marine and get one of their cables that is designed to make tight turns. They list a cable that can turn a 2" radius. That might be the most simple solution of all.
    Check out the Rex 33C supercable (You should be able to mount a ball joint to the top, right side of that bucket fairly easily and then it wouldn't be a huge deal to make another bracket to hold the end of the cable. That way, the cable will go horizontal, instead of vertical.
    [URL=http://www.rexmar.com/page106.html)

hoolign
    That would be my route.. but I probably wouldn't use a pump.
    RDhow else do you run hydraulics ?

HCS
    You could go to Rex Marine and get one of their cables that is designed to make tight turns. They list a cable that can turn a 2" radius. That might be the most simple solution of all.
    Check out the Rex 33C supercable (You should be able to mount a ball joint to the top, right side of that bucket fairly easily and then it wouldn't be a huge deal to make another bracket to hold the end of the cable. That way, the cable will go horizontal, instead of vertical.
    I figured you'd just say, dump the jet boat. :220v:

hoolign
    You could go to Rex Marine and get one of their cables that is designed to make right turns. They list a cable that can turn a 2" radius. That might be the most simple solution of all.
    That way, the cable will go horizontal, instead of vertical.
    the bucket goes up and down..not left and rightYou could go to Rex Marine and get one of their cables that is designed to make right turns.
    interesting! :jawdrop:

Tom Brown
    I figured you'd just say, dump the jet boat. :220v:
    Now that you mention it, a nice set-back bracket and outboard would look really good on there.
    Hey hoolign... if you were here with me right now, you'd really be enjoying the aroma that's emanating from my ass.

Tom Brown
    the bucket goes up and down..not left and right
    Yes, I know this. It wouldn't be tough to rotate the actuating ram 90*.

hoolign
    Yes, I know this. It wouldn't be tough to rotate the actuating ram 90*.
    The problem is the "actuating ram" is the tail end of the cable..open a window for christ sakes
    :burningm:

Tom Brown
    The problem is the "actuating ram" is the tail end of the cable..open a window for christ sakes
    :burningm:
    I think I see what you mean. There isn't enough distance between the hull and the cable stay to allow proper flexibility for turning.
    RD's idea is another simple one. Two rams, some sikaflex, fill with fluid, and then when you push or pull one end, the other should follow. Simple.
    This chair is going to stink every time I sit down now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast