Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6x9's...what would you pick?

Phat Matt
    Each speaker will be getting 75w from a JL amp. What speakers do you like?
    Infinity KAPPA 693.5I 6" x 9" 3-Way Loudspeaker (PAIR)
    Features 110W RMS/330W Peak Power Handling
    Frequency Response (±3dB): 35Hz – 22kHz
    Sensitivity: 90dB
    MB Quart DTE-169
    6"x9" 3-way 4 Ohms coaxial system
    RMS Power Range : 60-140 Watts
    Frequency response: 35-32000 Hz
    Diamond Audio M391I
    6 x 9 inch Speaker with 1 inch Alloy Tweeter (Pair)
    Sensitivity: 90 dB
    RMS Power Range : 75-150 Watts
    Frequency response: 42-20000 Hz
    JL Audio VR690-CXi
    VR690-CX 6x9-inch (150x230mm) 2-Way (Pair)
    Sensitivity: 89 dB
    RMS Power Range : 80 Watts
    Frequency response: 53-22000 Hz
    And why?
    Thanks

cdog
    I'm no expert in this subject but I can tell you that now I have the right amp to run 3 sets of my MB Quarts that are water proof. I am very impressed with these speakers. I'm curious to the response of others. I'm thinking of mounting 2 sets of 6x9's under my engine hatch so there loud when your outside the boat. I am running the JL 454 amp for the 3 sets of 6.5's and they're loud enough to piss off the wife when I crank it up.

rivercrazy
    I'm sure all those brands would sound great. Probably depends on what sounds better to your ears. Personally, me ears like the Infinities

ROZ
    All of the speakers listed are very similar, but I'd stay away from the discus series Quarts. You will blow them....If you want to go Quart, go with the RCE269's....
    Chances are that you'll run the amp in a HP mode, so the lower end of the freqyency scale is out the window...
    Go listen to the jl and diamond, and compare to the sound of your kappas(polymer basket)... Pick the pair that sound the best to you....
    For the speakers you have listed, I think the JL's sound smoother... But that's me.... I think the Diamond's sound similar to Bostons(my favorite)....
    Let me know if you want the JLs

Phat Matt
    For the speakers you have listed, I think the JL's sound smoother... But that's me.... I think the Diamond's sound similar to Bostons(my favorite)....
    Let me know if you want the JLs
    You like the SL95's the best? I can get them on ebay for $175.
    How about the SL65's. I can get those for $139.
    You think 2 pairs of each with 75w of JL power to each speaker would sound pretty good?
    Also while I'm looking at the Boston stuff, would it be worth it to run a couple pairs of the FX3's off the head unit to fill in some space? Since they are small I should be able to find space to mount those higher in the boat.
    Thoughts?

Tom Brown
    I am running.... and they're loud enough to piss off the wife when I crank it up.
    Mission accomplished.

INSman
    Matt
    I have (2) JL 300/4 amps putting out 75watts to each of the (8) JL 6.5" coax's in my current boat along with a pair of JL subs (500/1 amp) and I really like the way they sound.
    On my new boat, I went with the same amps, but opted for the Polk Audio (MOMO) speakers this time around and some marine (infinite baffle/free air) subs.
    Polk MOMO 6x9's in the bow and under the rear bench
    Polk MOMO 6.5" coax's in the upper rear bench and driver passenger
    I think and am hoping that this setup will sound as good or better than my current system. Should be done in about (2) weeks and I could certainly let you know then.
    Blane

Phat Matt
    Matt
    I have (2) JL 300/4 amps putting out 75watts to each of the (8) JL 6.5" coax's in my current boat along with a pair of JL subs (500/1 amp) and I really like the way they sound.
    On my new boat, I went with the same amps, but opted for the Polk Audio (MOMO) speakers this time around and some marine (infinite baffle/free air) subs.
    Polk MOMO 6x9's in the bow and under the rear bench
    Polk MOMO 6.5" coax's in the upper reab bench and driver passenger
    I think and am hoping that this setup will sound as good or better than my current system. Should be done in about (2) weeks and I could certainly let you know then.
    Blane
    Cool.
    I am planning on 2 of the JL 300/4 and a JL 1000/1 for amps. With your current set up how many batteries are you running and how long do they last?

INSman
    Cool.
    I am planning on 2 of the JL 300/4 and a JL 1000/1 for amps. With your current set up how many batteries are you running and how long do they last?
    Only running (2) and have never had a problem, then again, I am not really one of those sit in the channel or at the sand bar ALL DAY with the system blasting :jawdrop:
    Will be running (2) in the new boat as well, but twin engines this time. Going with the Odyssey 1700's which should work fine with what I have. I always keep a back-up jump starter in the boat "Just in case" !!

BoatFloating
    Matt, I went all JL in my current boat and I'm Very Happy!!!!! I have 2 JL 300/4 running to a total of 5 pair of speakers and 1000/1 running 2 12 W6's. I have 3 pair of the XR 650's and 2 pair of the 690-Cxi's. I'm very impressed with the 6x9's. They're some of the best 6x9's I've heard in quite some time. My 6x9's are under the hatch and come up when I raise the hatch for added volume.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...C02119-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...901_Small_.jpg
    Batteries??? Hell it's time for the genny set up since you got all that room in the deck boat. Dude with a genny we could turn your boat into "Rain" with all the lights and sounds of a real club...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast