Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a reasonable way to...

hoolign
    rebuild a d0ve 460 block, and get some half assed power out of it without spending big dollars? All I want out of this thing is for it to be reliable and have some life in it.

buy a 557 ci stroker kit for $1295. have the rotating assembly balanced and assemble with .550 or so lift cam and do some home porting of the heads(get help if needed) with a good valve job. run an AA impellor and use good gas.(50 per cent AV). stock Ford electronic ignition is fine. you should be able to turn that AA around 5300 or 5400 rpm. depending on hull design, could easily be over 90 mph.

LakesOnly
    rebuild a d0ve 460 block, and get some half assed power out of it without spending big dollars? All I want out of this thing is for it to be reliable and have some life in it.
    Quite coincidentally, there is a thread on another forum discussing how 1000HP seems to be no problem for most production 429/460 blocks regardless of casting number, provided they have 4-bolt mains on them. This includes a 4-bolt D0VE block or even a 2-bolt block with the 4-bolt splayed-cap conversion. Monster truck pullers, top name professional engine builders do it regularly. A 4-bolt conversion is easier on the D0VE block due to the thick main webs, but that's about the only advantage.
    If your block is a two bolt, 600-800 HP is certainly possible depending on stroke and overall set-up. (Techincally, twice that is possible, but the circumstances are very special.)
    I agree a stroker kit with the iron heads will do wonders and makes sense from a budget standpoint. A smaller stroker than the one mentioned above will cost less to buy and also cost a little less to set-up, if budget is a really big deal.
    I assume you will be going narturally aspirated.
    How much power are you looking to create reliably?
    What do you have available for heads?
    "Half-assed power without spending big dollars" is way, way easy with the 429/460.
    LO

Norseman
    Quite coincidentally, there is a thread on another forum discussing how 1000HP seems to be no problem for most production 429/460 blocks regardless of casting number, provided they have 4-bolt mains on them. This includes a 4-bolt D0VE block or even a 2-bolt block with the 4-bolt splayed-cap conversion. Monster truck pullers, top name professional engine builders do it regularly. A 4-bolt conversion is easier on the D0VE block due to the thick main webs, but that's about the only advantage.
    If your block is a two bolt, 600-800 HP is certainly possible depending on stroke and overall set-up. (Techincally, twice that is possible, but the circumstances are very special.)
    I agree a stroker kit with the iron heads will do wonders and makes sense from a budget standpoint. A smaller stroker than the one mentioned above will cost less to buy and also cost a little less to set-up, if budget is a really big deal.
    I assume you will be going narturally aspirated.
    How much power are you looking to create reliably?
    What do you have available for heads?
    "Half-assed power without spending big dollars" is way, way easy with the 429/460.
    LO
    Lakesonly;
    What other forum has the 385 thread??
    Just curious, as I still have a couple of 460 around the place???
    Where can you get the stroker kits for less than 1300.00??? That seems to be the going rate weather its a 557 or 513, or atleast was last time I looked.
    Bob

steelcomp
    Why bother with the added expense of the stroker kit? The key word here was MOST reasonable. You can just use stock 460 crank and rods, get a decent set of pistons, cam it accordingly and spend your money on heads and/ or valve train, which is where your power is going to come from. Unless you're talking about building a contemporary race motor, dollar for dollar you can get every bit as much horse power from a +.030, (466) or +.060 (472) 460 as you can from a stroker. Put your money where the power is. Good heads, good valve train, intake and carb(s). youcan build a "big" motor on the side as you have the money, and you'll already have the top end for it. AND, you'll be in the water quicker, and for less initial cost. :coffeycup

Jet City
    Lakesonly;
    Where can you get the stroker kits for less than 1300.00??? That seems to be the going rate weather its a 557 or 513, or atleast was last time I looked.
    Bob
    Here is a link to "THE" 385 forum. You'd do well to look up "Brian Adams" on that forum for your stroker needs, excellent reputation. That forum also has some very capable folks that offer other services such as head porting (see Scott J.) and several top notch engine builders.
    I agree with Paul, an iron headed 501/508 BBF would really rock for a low buck. With huge bores and generous block capacity, the 385 engine offers "best in class" strokability, 557 can be had from nearly any old 385 block with-out heavy block mods, try that with your typical MarkIV GM passenger block.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220

Norseman
    Here is a link to "THE" 385 forum. You'd do well to look up "Brian Adams" on that forum for your stroker needs, excellent reputation. That forum also has some very capable folks that offer other services such as head porting (see Scott J.) and several top notch engine builders.
    I agree with Paul, an iron headed 501/508 BBF would really rock for a low buck. With huge bores and generous block capacity, the 385 engine offers "best in class" strokability, 557 can be had from nearly any old 385 block with-out heavy block mods, try that with your typical MarkIV GM passenger block.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220
    I'll check it out!!!
    Thanks!!!
    Bob

Jet City
    Why bother with the added expense of the stroker kit? The key word here was MOST reasonable. You can just use stock 460 crank and rods, get a decent set of pistons, cam it accordingly and spend your money on heads and/ or valve train, which is where your power is going to come from. Unless you're talking about building a contemporary race motor, dollar for dollar you can get every bit as much horse power from a +.030, (466) or +.060 (472) 460 as you can from a stroker. Put your money where the power is. Good heads, good valve train, intake and carb(s). youcan build a "big" motor on the side as you have the money, and you'll already have the top end for it. AND, you'll be in the water quicker, and for less initial cost. :coffeycup
    I would rather put my money into a well built stroker with stock heads and milder flat tappet cam and have the option of upgrading the heads/cam at a later date, easier to change heads/cam than rethink the shortblock, and the long term potential is far better.
    Weren't you selling a very nicely built 467 Chevy to build a 496 inch stroker?

hoolign
    Lakesonly;
    Bob
    This motor is going back in a cv-23 eventually, I was thinking that if I could get a reliable 450 HP out of it I would be happy!The motor has already been bored 30 over a few years ago but it just needs some more life in it especially out of the hole. I was reading about the stroker kits on here and thought that might be the way to go! I'll have to loook into it more. Who produces the best stroker kit? for the money?

LakesOnly
    A stroker isn't really that much more expensive, especially for what you get in return. Stoker kits are so cheap now and are complete kits with forged pistons, rings, better rods, new crank, and bearings...and so all that's needed is the machining of the shortblock. When compared to piecing the components together yourself and having fewer cubes, the stroker is a little less hassle for all new parts. And even a stroker can be a tame engine. to get the same HP from a smaller engine typically requires higher rpm's.
    Indeed, there is certainly a lot to be said for a .030" over 460 and improving the top end breathing characterisitcs; most power can be gained from the heads and induction. This is, to some extent, true no matter what size engine is chosen.
    Looking at hooligns most recent post (and needs) I think he can go either way...
    LO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast