Thread: Lenco clutch question

Fiat48
    Does a Lenco clutch have a release in it...a device that would substiute for whirlaway in a V drive? In other words if I put in a Lenco clutch can I remove my whirlaway from the V drive and go back to normal dog clutch in the V drive?
    I have no Lenco experience.

Dave Sammons
    The clutches made for our application by Lenco were called "Safe Drives" and did not need a whirlaway. They also had an In/Out handle so dogs weren't needed. Just a straight shaft similar to what you'd run in Cruiser with a transmission. If you have questions call David Sumek at Lenco, 619-287-2500. He's a good guy and will set you up. Used to deal with him when I was running the Blwn Alc Front Motor car.

superdave013
    They used to make one called a Lenco Safe Drive that was a combo clutch and prop release. I had one in my flat and it worked great.
    I don't think they make those anymore. Hope I'm wrong about that as it was really nice.
    I did not use an air shifter. I had a handle mounted on the v drive. Sure made a high idle & big gear easy around the dock.

Fiat48
    Thanks. The Lenco setup I found was removed from a boat and is complete with Bell housing, Lenco and driveline tube cover. Since I have a customer that needs a whirlaway, flywheel cover and driveline tube for his deal I am entertaining buying this Lenco setup and putting it my deal and then he could use the stuff I remove.

DetroitJim
    Unless it is an old housing with "safe drive" cast into the top of it, it's just a clutch. Are you looking at a 2 speed section, or a clutch unit? If you are going to race the w/w is still required. The tech guy will make you engage the clutch then he will check that the prop turns backwards.
    I'm running a clutch-2 speed combo and have been through it several times, really nothing to it. Just some clutch packs and a sprag like a car trans. Bearings and seals are shelf items. PM me if you get it and need to freshen it up.
    DJ

Fiat48
    It's not a 2 speed, it is just the clutch. I will get a look at it Monday and be able to tell more. I remember the unit was in a river racer boat and was removed because they take a little power to turn so it has been on a shelf for a long time. Had the handle dealio in the middle of it and was all polished.