Thread: Fiber bushing?

pebo
    Redoing my 71' Hondo. Kinda new to V drives. My buddie says just cut one in half and use one piece in each end. Now i punch out the old ones and there is three of them in there all full size. Any input?

Redoing my 71' Hondo. Kinda new to V drives. My buddie says just cut one in half and use one piece in each end. Now i punch out the old ones and there is three of them in there all full size. Any input?
    A 2" piece in each end is all you need.

pebo
    Thanks for the reply. One last thing one when i slide in the bushing, one end seems losse?

If a 2" piece is loose it may be why you found full length pieces in there. It won't hurt to use a full length piece in the loose end if necessary to make it go in tight.
    Other than that I've heard of guys using epoxy to put them in a loose strut with success but have never tried that myself. Other than that it's replace or bush the strut so they're tight.
    Also on install if you don't already know, get a piece of allthread about 1/2" dia a foot or so longer than the strut barrel and 2 nuts and large dia washers and suck the bearings in from both ends. Do not pound them in with a block or hammer as they're easily distorted. Line up the grooves front to back too before pressing them in. Hope that helps.

Moneypitt
    If the prop shaft will not slide in nicely, DO NOT FORCE IT!!!!! You may have to "hone" the bushings out a little. Again, DO NOT force the shaft in, it must go in and turn freely. ..............MP