Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bbc 049 head question

Partycattin
    Ok, so my "abandoned" project boat happens to have a set of the 049 heads on it that I've read so much about.
    Besides porting, I read alot about bigger valves.
    Do these heads already have the bigger valves or is that something that needs to be done to them? If it needs to be done, does that require machining? Final if, anyone know a place that would do that around the Simi Valley area?
    Thanks

ECeptor
    049's are nearly identical to the 781's. Both really benefit from larger valves (2.19/1.88" int/exh) and porting. They did not come stock with those valve sizes.

SmokinLowriderSS
    ECeptor is correct, and they should be carrying 2.06" and 1.76" valves. Great ones to port and load the 2.19/1.88s in.
    I'm sure somebody in here will chime in with an experienced recomendation. You could perhaps drop a PM to cstraub. He's a very reputable cam grinder, I think in Cali, and he may know a place he has had good experience with. (not to short-sheet the other folks here too like TIMMINATOR or Steelcomp, not leaving folks out on purpose).

ECeptor
    cstraub....I think in Cali
    Nope...Tenn...

Partycattin
    How can I tell if the prior owner put the bigger valves in. He mentioned that he had some work done on the heads but didn't provide any details. Unfortunetly, I can't locate the guy as it's been a few years since I bought the boat.
    Thanks again for the info.

GofastRacer
    The 049's are large oval port heads with open chambers(like 990's)with the small valves!. No problem putting in the big valves, but the only way to tell what you have now is to yank em off and measure them!... These guys are not far from ya and they can take care of anything you might need done!..
    VHS! (http://www.valleyhead.com/main.html)

Moneypitt
    If you take anything to VHS stamp it somewhere with your ID or SSN. Get a written estimate, don't turn your back on Larry at anytime and take your own vaseline unless you want it on your bill!!!!!!!! Years ago they did really good work, but most of the good help quit because of a situation I was very much involved in..............MP

Partycattin
    If you take anything to VHS stamp it somewhere with your ID or SSN. Get a written estimate, don't turn your back on Larry at anytime and take your own vaseline unless you want it on your bill!!!!!!!! Years ago they did really good work, but most of the good help quit because of a situation I was very much involved in..............MP
    You ever use Rebco in Thousand Oaks? I heard the same thing, make sure you get it in writing first. Any idea what the cost would be to machine the heads for the bigger valves? Is it even worth it or better use of the cash to buy alum heads?

You ever use Rebco in Thousand Oaks? I heard the same thing, make sure you get it in writing first. Any idea what the cost would be to machine the heads for the bigger valves? Is it even worth it or better use of the cash to buy alum heads?
    How much power do you want to make? What is the budget? The answers to these questions will decide the path you need to take.

Partycattin
    How much power do you want to make? What is the budget? The answers to these questions will decide the path you need to take.
    I would love to get over 400HP. That probably doesn't seem like a lot to many of you, but my motor is at 320-330hp. The boat tops out at 48-50 depending on conditions and amount of people. I would like to maintain that speed but be able to back down the throttle a bit and still have the low end. The boat had a 24p prop on before and I would have trouble getting the boat to plane if full of people. Switched to a 22p B1 prop which gets me to plane quicker but increased the RPM's a bit when at full throttle. Top speeed is about the same.
    I invested in the IMCO Powerflows exhaust and changed it from through hub to through transom. Did that last summer and noticed minimal improvement for my $4k investment.
    I've heard many people talk about the 049 heads so I decided to check the project boat I have. Turns out the heads on it are 049s and it also has an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake that I can use. I'm going to pull the cam and have my fingers crossed that it is a Crane or something ok.
    I have no idea what getting the 049s worked for the new valves would cost. If the cost is $800-1000 or more, I'd probably just wait until motor rebuild time and invest in Alum heads.
    My motor is a stock 1996 7.4 (carb'd). Not sure what heads come stock on those. I was told they were the small (peanut) oval type. Would slapping the 049s on without the bigger valves and the alum intake/cam still be an improvement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast