Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BB FORD VERS BB CHEVY

WATERROCKET
    WELL , CAN THE 460'S COMPETE WITH THE 502'S.
    I NEED SOME OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

gnarley
    Well think about it, what do most major builders use???

WATERROCKET
    gnarley, chevy cheeper to build? or just make more hp.

Craig
    Every couple of years some of the hot rod magazines do a comparrison on buildups between all the major engines. They lay down some ground rules on what can be used and let the machine shops go. The motors always come in reasonably close in power, typically in the 400-500 hp range. Boat builders use Mercruisers because they are available, reliable and a good deal on the price they pay. If someone started offering the same thing with a Dodge that wasn't as expensive, I think you'd see them switch. They're in business to make money, period. If they can provide something that doesn't hurt the other requirements, and makes them more money, I think that's what they'd do. I don't believe they use a Chevy over a Ford because they think it makes more power. Just my opinion though. It's a business decision, $$$$$$

mister460
    Also Ford doesn't make the 460 anymore but Chev does make the 502. Marketing. Look at the '70's Ford, Chev, and Olds. Cause they were all available. If you put together a BB Ford and BB Chev with similar specs they'll make similar power. Reliability is just how you treat it.

WATERROCKET
    mister460, the stock 88 460 has 340hp.
    where do you you see the best gain to get it over the 400hp mark.

gnarley
    Originally posted by mister460:
    Also Ford doesn't make the 460 anymore but Chev does make the 502.
    Waterrocket, I think overall the BBC is way easier to find parts for than a BBF, hence parts prices should be cheaper to a point and easier to find with a larger selection of possibilities. Also what year of BBC makes a difference as well. Choose wisely depending on your needs.
    Originally posted by mister460:
    If you put together a BB Ford and BB Chevy with similar specs they'll make similar power.
    I don't think so! The BBF has known bad reversion in the exhaust port side of the head and the intake is so large that the air is lazy in there. The BBC for the most part is good out of the crate. If you go with aftermarket on both, yeah they probably do make the same but the BBF will cost more.
    [This message has been edited by gnarley (edited May 22, 2002).]

FoMoCo
    Ok I have to through in my 2 cents...
    I have a lot of friends with both Ford & Chevy, but I myself am a Ford guy!! I strongly believe it based on how well you match your parts, no matter if its a small block or a big block. I have seen BBC that do amazing things, and I have also seen BBF that do EXACTLY the same! As far as the price goes, I think if you look around and don't buy the first place you come to, you can build a BBF for about the same price as a BBC. I know because I built a DAMM strong BBF 429, 10.8:1 compression, Comp Cam 280, and a little work to the stock heads netted me a best of 76MPH(so Far) on an 18ft jet boat!!!! this boat will do over 80 mph when I am done fine tunning! I also built it on a really small budget!!

gnarley
    Originally posted by FoMoCo:
    I think if you look around and don't buy the first place you come to, you can build a BBF for about the same price as a BBC. I know because I built a DAMM strong BBF 429, 10.8:1 compression, Comp Cam 280, and a little work to the stock heads netted me a best of 76MPH(so Far) on an 18ft jet boat!!
    Well I hope it runs that well in a jet! Put it in an offshore style boat and see what it does. How many BBF's are in fast, large size, heavy displacement boats? How much does your jet weigh? It’s quite easy to build a 70+ MPH jet isn't it? How many RPM’s at 76 MPH? What is done to your pump? What you did to make yours go 76 MPH you could do from most BBC’s out of the crate or just a good rebuild with NO head work & it will turn 6500 RPM's if needed. What are the flow spec's on the stock heads from both? I don't remember anymore but seems to me that the BBF fell off at about 5200 RPM's or even less due to the intake flowing way more than the exhaust could remove, the BBC didn't have that problem. Most of them will easily run to 6500 with the right cam, but who wants to run that RPM all the time? For me I am happy to run a 3300 lb boat with an I/O deep V and cruise at 3500 RPM @ 52 MPH and know I have a lot of RPM left and can save some fuel to.

FoMoCo
    Notice I said 429BBF( 3.59 stroke), if it were a 460 I would be at 80 mph already. But I want to squeeze this motor an run it over 6,000 rpms! My pump was just rebuilt to stock specs with the addition of a ride-plate and shoe! I am spinning 5500 rpm's right now! The heads where home ported by me! I installed 2.19 & 1.76 vavles to help flow a little better, I am hopping to snag a set of Cobra-jet heads or just bite the bullet and buy a set of allumiun Blue Thunder heads!! and if you wnat to compare crate engines Ford has some bad boy motors of there own to buy from a crate 460 (560 hp)
    514 BBF (600 hp). So if thats your idea of a stock engine than Ford is right there with the Bow Tie boys.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast