Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BB FORD VERS BB CHEVY

gnarley
    FOMOCO, those are good numbers but tell me why don't more boat builders & manufactures use Fords? There must be advantages or else they would be using something else to achieve their numbers for cost, power, speed, reliability, etc. One thing I can think of is parts availability. I might be wrong but I'd bet that there were 5 to 10 times more BBC's built than BBF's starting from the mid 1960’s, (not including the 390, 427 or 428 Fords) meaning that replacement costs are less for the more readily available engine. The generation IV BBC has been around since 1965 & did not change it’s basic design until 1992 I think. How long did Ford keep it’s standard BBF design around? I think Ford does OK on it’s engines but some I just don't understand like the ports on a 460. Maybe a boat builder will read this and explain why the Chevy/GM is the choice of most all manufactures.

spectras only
    Gnarly ,the 460 was mighty fine with dove heads for the MARK III Lincolns ,hence everyone changes to these heads with the dreaded A2A heads that was designed to curtail emissions.I've put these heads on 460's and 429's like fomoco .With a better cam from ford [like the 443 Motorsport cam 130 $ CDN] you up performance tremendously.You can find dove heads for as little as 2-300 $ CDN.It won't brake the bank .The only pricey item was the cast iron SCJ intake [429 fame],because OMC bought them up for their 460 King Cobra drive model ,thus depleting stock.There are no longer available.You have to get the Weiand intake from now on.I just saw a couple SCJ intake in the buy and sell for 225 CDN.Sounds pretty cheap to me. I have a 1970 LS 6 [450 HP]in my v-drive boat,parts are not that cheap for that either. Basic 300/330 HP BBC are relatively cheap.

Boat builders use the BBC because GM is the only supplier of crate engines in large voluumes. Ford didn't want any part of the marine business, as they put it "we are in the business to sell cars, not engines." As for the 460 not being able to spin over 5200 rpm, I guess mine goes past 5200 so fast it didn't notice its not suppose to breath well. I don't know where all these unfounded fables get started. A BBF will spin as much rpm and make power as well as any BBC. Check out what some of the truck pullers are doing with the BBF. Does 8600-8800 rpm qualify as high rpms? [and with iron cranks too]

gnarley
    Originally posted by 058:
    As for the 460 not being able to spin over 5200 rpm, I guess mine goes past 5200 so fast it didn't notice its not suppose to breath well.
    What are the flow spec's on the stock heads from both?
    058, that was based on a stock OEM, is yours stock? I bet its not. It's kind of like the Olds, stock they don't do well above 5000 but change them like the Fords and they too will breath right. I would have to say on Fords decission not to sell engines for marine use is a bad decission, if they are that good they are cheeting their investors of a market segment that could produce revenue for its shareholders.

77charger
    I run a bbf 429 also.Dont bbcs require 4 bolt mains to spin to 6500 and need steel cranks or better rods.My bbf will spin 5500 on the botlle and the bottom end is STOCK.
    Dont get me wrong on the bbcs i like them too and there are more parts to go around but the bbfs can be punched to 540 ci with stock factory 2 bolt blocks.
    Any one of the two makers are capable of the same hp with the right parts.And for the off shore boats i know a guy who put two pontiacs in a heavy boat it went 85 even with the homemade exhaust so it goes to show with the right combo of parts anything is possible.And bbf 429s have an oversquare bore and stroke whoch is really good for high rpm capability.

BlownCole
    Okay for all you ford fanatics who would be interested in a 572 ford with cj heads dominator carb and steel crank. I got this motor cheap and i need to move it. freshen it up and it will make a stout piece. it ran low 13s high 12s in a lwb ford pickup with stock suspension. the only drawback for the ford purist is that it has chevy rods in it

lakesmodified
    "I got this motor cheap and i need to move it"
    Depends on what you consider cheap? So how much?

BlownCole
    $2000.00 and no it isn't hot in that way. the guy who had it went bust and needed groceries

Gnarley, I have used several heads on my 460s, from D0VE-Cs to D0OE-Rs to alum CJs. The "C" heads are stock OEM from 1968 thru 70 or early 71. On a 460 with a mild cam that engine would spin 6500 turning a 25% gear and a 11.5 X 15" prop in a very heavy [wood deck] Howard flat. The "C" heads are the equilevent to the BBC small valve- oval port head. [2.09" Intake-1.65" Exhaust] So be careful what you want to compare to. You Chevy guys think there is no other engine that compares to the Chevy, sorry to burst your bubble but we have an alternative that is just as good if not better and can be built just as cheap as any BBC. Where you guys have to spend your money on 4 bolt blocks and steel cranks we get by just fine with iron cranks and 2 bolt blocks. You want flow specs? Can't give 'em to ya, don't know. Who cares what the heads flow as long as they do the job you want them to do and mine do just fine, thank you. One more thing, I have a great respect for Chevys and fully understand the attraction to them, I just choose to do things a bit different and you should be glad some of us do. Wouldn't it be boring as hell if we all ran the same engine, boat, truck, ect?

WATERROCKET
    OK , ITS MY TURN, I HAVE AN 1988 460 KING COBRA IT HAS THE COBRA JET INTAKE.I WAS TOLD THAT ITS RATED @340HP THE BOAT WEIGHTS 3900#LBS AND RUNS 56 TO 58 MPH. HOW DO I TELL WHICH HEADS I HAVE.AND HOW CAN I PUSH THIS BOAT JUST OVER 60 MPH. BIGGER CARB? OR HEADERS? REALLY DON'T WANT TO PULL THAT HEAVY SOB RIGHT NOW ITS REALLY RUNNING GOOD. THE DAMN THING ONLY HAS 290HOURS ON IT.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast