Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BB FORD VERS BB CHEVY

Check the casting number just below the valve cover rail. Should read something like this: D3VE-A2A

WATERROCKET
    THANKS 058,

waterrocket, if you need any more help with your 460 Email me at svopwr@aol.com

kevnmcd
    "FORD"....Fix Or Repair Daily...You mix that with a boat and all you get is unreliable fun. Go with Chevy. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

lghtnin33
    well,well, another ford versus chevy topic.This battle will never end! to answer your question WATERROCKET, yes the BBF 460's can "compete" with the BBC 502's, are they as powerful? probably not.BBC's have a 42 cid. advantage over the BBF's. i work with both products from time to time and they both have their good and bad qualities. i am a FORD man for my own reasons! it's all in the PARTS! chevys do have a parts availability advantage but thats about it, nothing else. when the chevy guys start in on fords its usually because they have a cid. advantage, like corvette,camero etc. VS. a mustang, well, chevy uses a 350 cid. motor VS. a 302 cid. motor, so i would hope they could out perform them even by a little. but in most cases the smaller ford block, the 48 cid. under dog holds it own!

LOWRIVER2
    I run a stock 460 (84vintage) in a 19ft. Eliminator Liberty, I love the reliability of the motor, but for parts access...holy cow. I needed a flywheel in 96, none available in SO.CAL.!!! Had to wait two weeks for one from Michigan (this was through a dealer). A friend with a 460 lost his distributer cap last weekend in Parker. None of the 4 shops in Parker had one in stock. This lack of basic parts alone always drives me to recommend GM motors for boats. Performance is nice, but I'll take parts availability to keep my toys running over a little more horsepower any day.

hack job
    Originally posted by LOWRIVER2:
    I run a stock 460 (84vintage) in a 19ft. Eliminator Liberty, I love the reliability of the motor, but for parts access...holy cow. I needed a flywheel in 96, none available in SO.CAL.!!! Had to wait two weeks for one from Michigan (this was through a dealer). A friend with a 460 lost his distributer cap last weekend in Parker. None of the 4 shops in Parker had one in stock. This lack of basic parts alone always drives me to recommend GM motors for boats. Performance is nice, but I'll take parts availability to keep my toys running over a little more horsepower any day.
    hey i have a question about the distbutor cap if it was a boat then most likly it was a pestolite distbutor and then most places wouldnt have you are right it would be the same as if you needed a mallory for a chevy, now if it was a ford distbutor then it would be the same as a 351 and that is very strange that they wouldnt have one seeing how there are a alot of out drive boats that use that motor plus the fact that a crap load of cars had that motor. any how i live in socal nd i have never had that kind of trouble finding parts for my 460 , this is just my opion and i didnt want it coming off like ford parts are extremly hard to find. iam not picking on you lowriver2. just showing my experiances and knoledge what ever that might be. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

LOWRIVER2
    no harm here,
    Pestolite yes, glad you have'nt had problems with parts. I also had to wait 6 days for a flywheel back in 94 for my old 84 Ranger (2.8L capri motor). That part also had to come from Michigan. I do know a lot of folks run the old fords but I have found many guys having to wait for various parts from ford and the same GM parts were on the shelf. The statement that Ford never was into building motors for anything other than cars has been displayed to me a few times now. I really think it's silly that a part so common as a flywheel is not in stock in So. Cal. when so many big block ford trucks/boats and motorhomes are running around. I love my ford for it's reliability but I will definitely build a Chevy next time around for this reason, and others. There are a lot of tricks to make a Ford run (and many are cheaper to do than with GM stuff) but the mass quanity of parts (and my friend's knowledge curves)with GM stuff will send me to the bowtie.

gnarley
    Originally posted by 058:
    You Chevy guys think there is no other engine that compares to the Chevy, Wouldn't it be boring as hell if we all ran the same engine, boat, truck, ect?
    Hey 058, I don't think that Chevy is the only engine or the best nor do I of Fords, I just seemed to always have better luck with Chevy's. I owned a SW tour Thunderbird in the mid 80's so we could be different as everyone else ran Chevy's. It was a challenge but we did OK but it was more expensive to buy parts for it back then than it is today buy the sound of things. It isn’t true that you need 4 bolt mains to spin 6500, but it doesn’t hurt! I'm sure that there are as many tricks to Fords as Chevy’s but I still feel that more aftermarket manufactures make more parts for Bowtie than the Blue Oval and you can find more Bowtie parts on more shelves in more places. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of respect for Fords but the bottom line is Chevy is the choice of most all-major boat builders for a reason.

Gnarley, I have never let cost get in the way of what I want. Sure, some things cost more for a Ford but thats the price I pay for something I believe in, same as you Chevy guys and I would never deny you that so please don't deny me my pleasure. As I said before "Wouldn't it be boring as hell if we all ran the same thing?" Look at it this way: until the BBF came along all you Chevy guys had to race is another Chevy, what competition is that? So you beat another cookie-cutter engine...BFD! Yes, the BBC has been around alot longer and there has been alot more "how to" articles in magazines about Chevys, is this something to be proud of? With all the info about Chevys out there and with pictures too [for those of you who can't read] Anybody who can't build a powerful Chevy has to be a complete moron. When the 429-460 first came out everyone said it looks like another BBC so we'll build it like one, well that didn't work and it didn't make the power it should have but when people approched it as a different engine and built it accordingly it responded accordingly. As to your comment about Ford not building marine engines and the profit to the stockholders, thats just the point; Ford didn't see enough profit in marine products to justify the effort, just as they saw fit to dump their class 6, 7 and 8 trucks and sold the line to Sterling, not enough profit to justify the trouble, GM has done the same thing in the past few years, Delphi ring a bell? So did Ford when they sold Vistion.[one of the most profitible division of Ford] The bottom line here is profit, for Ford and GM...they both serve the same master, the stockholders.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast