Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BB FORD VERS BB CHEVY

gnarley
    058, what I was trying to tell Waterrocket in my opinion was what you said Originally posted by 058:
    there has been a lot more "how to" articles in magazines about Chevy’s, With all the info about Chevy’s out there and with pictures too [for those of you who can't read] Anybody who can't build a powerful Chevy has to be a complete moron.
    HE asked “CAN THE 460'S COMPETE WITH THE 502'S. I NEED SOME OPINIONS”. I gave him one, then he asked “Chevy cheaper to build? or just make more hp?” Which I think you backed up in the above quote. Don't forget before the BBF was a challenger to the BBC, in the big block wars of the 60's the HEMI and Wedges were around and usually smoked most BBC's! And not to mention the rare Ford 427 DOHC's. During those times the BBC was almost always getting spanked unless you had real cubic dollars in one like a Reynolds Z-L1. So yeah if you want to work at it you can build a Ford, I did & got tired of the work necessary to field a competitive Ford when I was in racing. In my private life I have more projects to do than I want these days and want the easiest, simplest & what I feel is the most reliable and easy to find parts for boat so I don't need to work as hard doing it and spend less doing if possible. As you said "I have never let cost get in the way of what I want. Sure, some things cost more for a Ford" I want to save where I can so I can buy that vacation home in the Delta soon enough. If you choose to spend more, more power to ya.
    By the way I have a 1979 Sleekcraft 21' daycruiser that needed repair as well as an engine & drive. Since a friend gave me all the marine hardware for a SBF I went with a Ford and found a 1970 4BBL 351w to put in. I never did a thing to the motor and ran fine for 5 years with very little invested. So I still have a Ford also, know anyone who might be looking?

Gnarley, Sorry, it just that I get a bit testy whenever someone says "BBC is the ONLY engine to use" Not saying that was something you said but it has been said none the less. Also I enjoy a good Chevy/Ford debate as long its done intelligently and not throwing around a bunch of unfound claims and name calling. No need for that here. I respect your opinion because you handled it like a gentleman. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you the first Bud is on me. BTW, how much are you asking for the Sleek?

gnarley
    Well I'd Email you with info on it but your's isn't listed. I replaced the stringers and bulkhead connectors added an additional 3/4 marine ply to the transom for the volvo 270 I/O and filled all cavaties under the floor from the dash back with 50/50 foam for extra rigidity & floatation if a problem ever were to occure. It feels tight & is a fast hull! I had redone the gelcoat but the glass shop sold me the wrong clear and it ruined the finish so it needs a complete repaint again. I hate to sell it but I need to let it go.
    I forgot to say Hey I'll take ya up on the beer since your in the Bay Area maybe we'll meet up some time. Where are you at anyway? And with your handle 058 are you a racer?
    [This message has been edited by gnarley (edited May 31, 2002).]

63stevens
    I always like to hear people debate what is better. I think the marketing philosophy of Chevy makes them the choice of boat builders. If Ford had the same philosophy I'm sure alot of builders would go in that direction. If I was building a boat for racing I would build a chevy. There has been more R and D done with chevy's, thats what makes them most racers choice. If Ford had put that much time and effort into their 460's do you think people would run them?

Gnarley, I am in Hayward. I stopped posting my email because of spam, its amazing how they can spam you off of a couple of wesites that you hit. Must be those damn cookies. As for my handle "058" thats the number thats on my Hondo, it was there when I bought it along time ago. No, I don't race boats but I did race cars in the 70s and 80s, mostly street machines but did some TAFC racing for a couple of years. I see you are from Santa Rosa, where do you boat? I usually go to Berryessa [Putah Creek] but have been known to turn up at Tulloch every now and then. Wouldn't mind a trip or two to the Delta if I can stay away from those offshore boats that haunt the area. Email: svopwr@aol.com

63Stevens, Ford's marketing sucks, GM has it all over Ford in that respect, a good product doesn't hurt either. Ford had the ***boat engine market locked up in the early to mid 60s but they pissed it away. The 427 was as reliable as an anvil and they produced them for "crate" sales even though they were not cheap compaired to the Mopar or the Chevy. I remember Vic Hubbards had engines stacked up like cord wood in the wharehouse. They were a big player in the ***boat market back then. They sold all the hardware, v drives, engines, trailers and hulls. You could buy everything needed to complete a boat and put it on a trailer with one stop at the parts counter...damn, those were the days!

lakesmodified
    Bottom line, Ford truck sales are so overwhelming, they don't need to resort to selling engines on the side in order to make ends meet!!!!! Chevy's trucks have been so damn lousy for so many years, that they had to get into the part business in order to keep the Chevy mark alive!!!!!!! Hell, Chevy can't even keep a rear wheel drive car in their line up.. All they sell is front wheel drive crap!!! Oh, almost forgot... The over priced Corvette that even in Z06 form can't beat the New for 2003 Ford SVT Cobra in a quarter mile! And at a $20K price difference! Chevy couldn't even get their shit together when it came to their "Sport truck" SS454... Ford has the SVT Lightning at 390HP for $31K what does Chevy offer?? Crate engines!!!! For Christs Sakes.. They can't figure how to build a high horsepower vehicle and still make it emmissions legal, that's why they build so many CHEAP crate engines...

Uh oh...I think I'll keep my head down and sneak out the back door after that last post...gentlemen, don't start shooting until 058 has left the building.

rrrr
    When I decided to buy an old v-drive, I wanted to get something a little different. Found an old Howard with a 427 Ford, I love the way it looks. I'm not trying to be the fastest boat on the lake, but I will probably be the only one with a Holman Moody original.
    There's no doubt in my mind that the BBC is the easiest and cheapest engine to hop up. I have a 454 Merc in my big bow rider, just bolting stuff on has made it much more responsive and a few MPH faster. There are tons of parts for sale by people that are upgrading, and you can buy 'em pretty cheap.
    [This message has been edited by rrrr (edited May 31, 2002).]

A piece of history indeed, The H/M 427 is rare and a valuable piece. The FE is still a competitive engine even though its been out of production for over 25 years. There are now 3 companys that produce FE blocks in both aluminum and iron. Shelby [alum. only] Dove Enger. and Genesis. The future is still bright for the 'ol FE. They have a small but very loyal following, myself included.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast