Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeller question

Taylorman
    What will cutting down my impeller do? I am after a few more mph. I have a 455 with an A impeller turning 4600 at about 58mph. Will cutting it to a B cut give me more speed?

HBjet
    YES, it should bring your RPM's up for a little more HP. I don't know anything about your motor or pump, but making sure your pump is tight will also help with your top end.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited April 08, 2002).]

Hustler
    It really depends on where you motor makes it's power, runing a b cut impeller will most likly give more rpm but depending on your motor it may not give you anymore mph.
    Hustler

rivercrazy
    Yup. It will only help you if the impeller your running now is not letting the motor get to its max high rpm HP/Torque. I bet you are right where you need to be with that 455.

77charger
    True what everyone says i did this my self and did get an improvement but my motor peaks at 5500.I think the difference in cuts is 250-300 rpm so if your motor does not make any more hp at 4850-4900 you will not getany improvement just turnong a higher rpm at 58mph.Now if your motor picks up hp you will run a little higher in the rpm and then speed will improve this sounds hard to explain but in my case going from an a to an a-b brought a 300 rpm difference was told atleast 150 rpm and if the motor made more hp then more rpm will be gained.
    You can call jack@mpd and he can explain this better (949)631-2040 he spent a while explaing it to me but was understandable after and i had him cut my impeller.

rivercrazy
    the only other thing to consider is the state of your 455 Olds. They have oil distribution problems and don't like high rpms for any length of time. That is unless you corrected these issues

ChetCapoli
    what did you do HB, pass the torch to charger or what?? Geez....never ends.
    BTW, what did our boy papp run at the races??? Should i place my bet now or later?
    CHET

77charger
    Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
    what did you do HB, pass the torch to charger or what?? Geez....never ends.
    BTW, what did our boy papp run at the races??? Should i place my bet now or later?
    CHET
    No chet it was the free donuts.Actually i just recomended mpd because he explained it very clearly to me and i was able to under stand,and hb jet was one who recomended jack at mpd for pump work and i have been very happy there with the work that i have had done.BTW dont you have that hook in your boat that you should be workin on.

MissHBjet
    Chet,
    There is nothing wrong with these guys recommending MPD ok...Jack will not steer them wrong.
    Yeah RAHndy what did Tom Papp run at the races???????

ChetCapoli
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 77charger:
    No chet it was the free donuts.Actually i just recomended mpd because he explained it very clearly to me and i was able to under stand.
    BTW dont you have that hook in your boat that you should be workin on.
    Charger,
    It has to be the donuts because this is about the tenth time now. Before you know it you'll be over to randy's taking the wax statue he has. I almost forgot, the pump builders in his area or louisana(hi-tech,CBM,Big A,mikes pump,dons etc...) speak in spanish and arabic which is very hard to understand. BTW, if you can read, my boat is almost done and we WILL be trying the parts that "the majority of pump builders" recommend. Which of course wont be from any "second rate" pump makers. LOL!
    Miss HB how do you get involved here anyways??? Is rahndy serving a "time out" term or something?
    Chet

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast