Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Drilled cranks no good for marine applications????

DeputyDawg
    I recently read a Teague article where he stated that cross drilled cranks were not good for marine applications because they use too much oil and tend to keep the oil from returning properly when operated at sustained rpm. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I have always run cross drilled cranks. As long as you run a big pan with plenty of oil and a good windage tray is this really something to be concerned about?

Blown 472
    Tried it, lost two cranks, put a non cross drilled one back in and it was fine.

GofastRacer
    The motor don't know what it's in, that don't make sense to me all a cross drilled crank do is provide full oiling 360 degrees of rotation instead 180 degrees with a non crossed drill crank!.. How can you use more oil and not return properly Rod side clearance determines how much oil you pass. What does it say about using a full groove bearing?, that is the same as using a cross drilled crank!.. I must be having brain fade here because it don't make sense to me!..

GofastRacer
    Tried it, lost two cranks, put a non cross drilled one back in and it was fine.
    I been using crossed drill cranks for 20+ years and have one in my motor now never had a problem, just tore mine down after 5 years of beating the shit out of it, bearings looked like they came out of the box, slapped it back together and it's good to go for another shit load of abuse!.. Starting in another week!. :smile:

Moneypitt
    There are some cranks that work very well cross drilled and some that do not. There are some non cross drilled cranks that work very well and some that do not. It would depend heavily on which crank you start with. I have run cross drilled cranks, nothing but cross drilled cranks, and can't relate any failure to the reasons mentioned. The new aftermarket cranks are now using "priority oiling" in the oil passages, making cross drilling un necessary. The location of the main oil holes has been rotated ,clocked a little different, so the rod on the compression/firing stroke is oiled at the right time. There was quite a discussion on this awhile back, just prior to me using one in the PS boat, and the crank worked very well. The aftermarket cranks, scat, eagle, etc. are not cross drilled anymore. I will still use selected factory forged, cross drilled cranks if I have one for the application I am building. I'm willing to bet there are more success stories out there than failure stories when it comes to the "good" factory forgings that are crossdrilled.......MP

GofastRacer
    I'm poverty so I use plain steel OEM cranks and cross drill them!..

Moneypitt
    Art, I've even crossdrilled CAST cranks trying to make the rods live,AND it worked!! I have no idea what this article is about, but it sounds to me like something to use to sell something.........Ray

Fiat48
    The word from the "crank" guys is that crossdrilling weakens the crank. Guys used to do the full groove bearings instead of crossdrilling. But that meant less bearing surface. Now with most performance bearings being 3/4 grooved there is a happy medium.
    Eagles...I got them some crossdrilled and some not.
    Scat...got one and it came crossdrilled.
    Lunati...not crossdrilled.
    Cola...not crossdrilled.
    Had no rod bearing problems with any of them. Cross drilled or not. Was a day I would not put in a crank that was not crossdrilled. But not today.
    Main bearings I know how to hurt but never a rod bearing.

GofastRacer
    Art, I've even crossdrilled CAST cranks trying to make the rods live,AND it worked!! I have no idea what this article is about, but it sounds to me like something to use to sell something.........Ray
    Never did a cast crank but no reason why it shouldn't work!..

GofastRacer
    The word from the "crank" guys is that crossdrilling weakens the crank. Guys used to do the full groove bearings instaed of crossdrilling. But that meant less bearing surface. Now with most performance bearings being 3/4 grooved there is a happy medium.
    Eagles...I got them some crossdrilled and some not.
    Scat...got one and it cme crossdrilled.
    Lunati...not crossdrilled.
    Cola...not crossdrilled.
    Had no rod bearing problems with any of them. Cross drilled or not. Was a day I would not put in a crank that was not crossdrilled. But not today.
    Main bearings I know how to hurt but never a rod bearing.
    The motor I just built had an Eagle crank and it was crossed drilled, but I guess with these new bearings it don't really matter, still can manage to hurt bearings though!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast