Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cavitration reduer

Is the Ratchet Release and Cavitation Reduer from Don's pump wouth the time and money?

DEL51
    Yes, I had Don blueprint my dominator pump. He installed the cavitation reducer and ratchet as well as a balanced stainless AA impeller.My throttle cable came off at 90mph. The cable bolt backed out, always check your linkages.The ratchet worked as described.I have met Don at a few races and he is a good joe.Good luck,DEL51

In what way did it help out? More speed? more contol?

DEL51
    The ratchet allowed the pump to "freewheel" and the transom did not lift which can cause the boat to turn hard left or right.The cavitation reducer helped load the pump when hitting the throttle from a dead stop.This was in a heavy sanger at the time and the efficency of the pump increased with the blueprint job. I was able to cruise at less rpm.DEL51

ChetCapoli
    i would buy the "jetaway" long before a ratchet from dons. You dont have to ruin you shaft by cutting off the front of it if you ever decide to not use it anymore....with the jetaway you just bolt in on, shim it and go and can take it off anytime. Plus the ratchets have a tendency to leak from what i understand.

What is a "Jetaway"?

rivercrazy
    In the event the motor goes south, it allows the jet to continues spinning in freewheel. This keeps you from poping the tail and pitching you hard right or left when the boat lands (usually sending you for a swim or hospital)

ChetCapoli
    hey 23,
    the are both for the same reason but with the jetaway you dont have to cut and weld your shaft like with the ratchet. Better quality unit also but that just my opinion.
    chet

SCOTT
    I like to learn from other peoples mistakes.Here is one to watch out for! make sure your throtle stop in your pedal hits the same as your carb.linkage.I changed shit around and didnt double check it.I was racin a blown hydro and he was getting out on me in the lights,simi final round.I wanted it bad so im steppin on it real hard,we went through the lights and I let off and it kept on goin,ah shit! so I had to shut the key off at over 100 mph.NO FUN...it bent the throttle cable.VERY FRIGHTNING EXPERIANCE.It slowed to about 50 before it hooked.NOW I NEED A POP OFF OR A RATCHET.Be carefull boys,anything can happen!
    [This message has been edited by SCOTT (edited October 04, 2001).]

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    AMEN SCOTT........I have a popoff in mine as well. I have been thrown out of jets before and it's a quick way to get 2 weeks in bed. I have had to use it a couple of times. 1 time when I tossed a blower belt. And the other was when an inpeller decided it was time to come apart. DEFINETLY the way to go as far as safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast