Thread: Ford starter ??'s

ssanddemon
    I built a 460 for my CVX20 last year (new starter and flexplate), just got to run her for about the last 3 weeks of nice weather last fall. The last time I took her out, I had a "crunch/clank" noise :frown: while cranking over at the launch. Pulled the starter out and found it had only been engaging about 1/2 way across the flexplate teeth, finally snapped one off. The starter is a top mount Prestolite, using an adaptor because the bellhousing is set up for a standard type Ford starter. The boat came with this setup, but the original Prestolite cranked slow, was binding up, and had chewed up teeth (on the end, go figure). -So I bought a new one from CP. Fywheel was a Scat internally balanced, like the original Ford unit. I pulled both Prestolites apart, and for the life of me, can't figure out how they have more than about 3/8 to 1/2" of travel, seems like very little. I'm wondering If I used the wrong combo of starter and flexplate, or is there a spacer missing somewhere? Or?? I'm fairly sure the flexplate is right because I believe there are only 2 types, internally or externally balanced, and the motor ran smooth at all rpms. This thing has been bugging me all winter, I'd appreciate any help to get this starter issue straightened out.

I found out when I bought my last flexplate, that there are two different tooth counts too. Not sure if this is the issue, but it could be. Check with your local parts counter and see if they list two of em (besides int ext balance).

Squirtin Thunder
    I found out when I bought my last flexplate, that there are two different tooth counts too. Not sure if this is the issue, but it could be. Check with your local parts counter and see if they list two of em (besides int ext balance).
    I believe the top mount Prestolite starter works on a 164 tooth count Flexplate !!!

ssanddemon
    Just did a count, 164 teeth. Any difference in offset to the other plate? I should note that I bought an externally balanced plate just to look at the offset difference, and it is pretty close to the internally balanced type, 164 teeth on this one also. I don't think I'll bolt it up since the motor ran smooth with the internal plate, just wanted to have a look. At the end of the season last year, I also bought a standard-rotation starter (early car type with the solenoid on the starter) and ran it in the conventional mounting, under the exhaust. It was too close, and wouldn't release when the motor started. I bought the early one since this is a D1V engine, thought it must be early '70s. I haven't mounted up a later (remote soleniod) one in the conventional (forward) mounting, but I could try that.

ssanddemon
    OK, here's something, I just figured out I can slip a flexplate onto the crank even though the motor's on the stand. The Scat plate is about 13/16ths from the left side water jacket. The original Ford plate and the externally balanced plates are exactly 1" from the same spot, 3/16ths closer to the (top mount)starter, which is about the distance I need! I am wondering now if I got an incorrectly set up flexplate from Scat?

ColeFord
    Just did a count, 164 teeth. Any difference in offset to the other plate? I should note that I bought an externally balanced plate just to look at the offset difference, and it is pretty close to the internally balanced type, 164 teeth on this one also. I don't think I'll bolt it up since the motor ran smooth with the internal plate, just wanted to have a look. At the end of the season last year, I also bought a standard-rotation starter (early car type with the solenoid on the starter) and ran it in the conventional mounting, under the exhaust. It was too close, and wouldn't release when the motor started. I bought the early one since this is a D1V engine, thought it must be early '70s. I haven't mounted up a later (remote soleniod) one in the conventional (forward) mounting, but I could try that.
    I think 1979 was the only externally balanced engine,your's is a 1971 so you have the correct flexplate as far as balance goes. Your conventional starter might need to be shimmed back if you dont have that motorplate [dustcover?] between the block and bellhousing.I had to do that with mine.

ssanddemon
    I have the plate between the motor and bellhousing. Though I might be pitching it if needed to get the starter closer! :hammer2:

Mighty Thor
    I have the plate between the motor and bellhousing. Though I might be pitching it if needed to get the starter closer! :hammer2:
    Sand, on my 76 with the top mount starter there is no plate between block and bellhousing. I am no ford guy But I always thought the plate was to facilitate the low mount starter and was not used otherwise. I mention this cause on my one ton with the 460 we got it with a broken flywheel and when we went shopping I was told that the old style/ new style problem would result in exactly the kind of breakage we had. (perfect circle through the bolt holes) Our old ford Dump truck has a top mount starter and no plate. don't know if this helps or not, but my 460 CVX w/o the plate spins freely and also releases clean. I found the same as you, that gear on the starter don't move much.

ssanddemon
    Thanks Thor! Between using the factory Ford flexplate and removing the cover plate between the engine and bellhousing, I will end up about 1/4" closer to the starter. That will probably take care of it!

Keithb87
    Also check that the Flex plate is on correctly. We found out that a Flex Plate can be mounted either way, not much difference in the distance but enough to chew up the teeth. :idea: