Thread: Where to Start

Phil1978
    I just a boat for free from a friend who got married and his father in law gave him a new one. Its a fiberglass boat. 30ft long (tip to back) and it needs work: Interior, paint, seats, and engine work. All the parts for the engine are there. It has a 455 Olds on it, but I heard that it was a crappy engine and I also heard it is a good engine. Is it good or bad??? Should I change it. I am new to the boat world but I have always admired them.
    Also I am definetly lost in this project. The boat needs work and I don't know where to start.
    Here a little list that I know that needs to be done: Paint, interior, gauges, electrical, seats, flooring, ... and the list goes on.
    I will try to post some pictures so you guys can see what I am talking about.
    Thank for the help.

Fiat48
    Start by looking at how much this boat is worth after you are done with it. Real market value. Someone once said "A boat is a big hole in the water that you throw money into." Better reason the costs out first.

LakesOnly
    Building a boat is a passion; don't expect the value of the finished project to be as much as what all the receipts will add up to. That being said, you will most likely be better off buying a turn-key boat where someone else is taking the loss...unless you have found a complete jewel that is worthy of the resto/rebuild.
    The Olds 455 engine is a common one, but not necessarily the most popular among the majority of high performance enthusiasts.
    LO

Jet City
    Some very good advice above. You could also post pics and ask particular questions, current boat worth and evaluation. Some of the work you mentioned such as exterior paint (or gel-coat) is very difficult, it will be even more difficult on a 30 footer, not the best boat for a "first" marine project IMO.
    An important question to consider (especially if your a new boater) is will this really be the boat you want when your done restoring it, also consider what the restoration cost would get you in another boat (outright), in most cases upgrading is the cheapest way to a better boat.
    There is really good info on all the tasks you mentioned, the search function will give you hours of valuable info.

LakesOnly
    Someone once said "A boat is a big hole in the water that you throw money into."
    Acronym: BOAT:
    BREAK
    OUT
    ANOTHER
    THOUSAND

LO

Jrocket
    Run away and run away fast.You'll get half way through and see the light,then you'll see all the cash that you spent and still need to spend just to get it to the water.Then theres all the bugs to work out of it.Run I say!

Foggerjet
    I'd have to agree with the others here. After you spend a ton of money, you'll be better off finding a rig in the 18-19' range that is running and has been sorted. In fact you'll be money ahead. There's nothing wrong with taking on a project but if you're new to the boating arena, you're in for a real eye opener. A 30 footer is a big sucker!! Have you thought about why the guy gave it to you? It's easy to stand there and look at it saying "I'll do this, replace that, rebuild all of this, repaint, gel, new interior, new motor, pump". While it would be cool to see a big boat all fixed up, the gang here knows what it takes to do it: A big pile of money. When that pile gets low, add more. Also some pics would be nice, it may not be that bad. Show us! Not trying to pee in your wheaties, just a little friendly advice. Good luck.
    fog

Phil1978
    Time is not really the issue. Wether it will be done by the summer of 2006or 2007 it doesn't really matter. Money is of course an issue. I don't have the cash to go out and buy a turn key boat and that is why I rather take on a project, that way I can spend money as it becomes available.
    When I first saw it I was struck by the size of it.
    I'll try to get some pictures of it this weekend depending on the weather. Thanks for all he advice so far.

lucky
    how can you call him a buddy , when he just cost you so much lmoa -- congrats on the boat -- if you love it you will build it