Thread: A new question for 496HO exhaust

NuckinFutz
    We've all read about the increase in horses removing the turbulators in the exhaust, but last night I was looking at mine and can see some plastic baffles in the exhaust between the end of the riser and the internal flappers. What are the pros and cons of removing these items. I can see they are also interfering with clean exhaust flow, possibly more than the turbulators.

Essex29
    seems like everbody is doing there last minute tweaks to get an edge for the Poker Run

Beer-30
    We've all read about the increase in horses removing the turbulators in the exhaust, but last night I was looking at mine and can see some plastic baffles in the exhaust between the end of the riser and the internal flappers. What are the pros and cons of removing these items. I can see they are also interfering with clean exhaust flow, possibly more than the turbulators.
    From what I understand, double flappers (internal-tip along with rubber on the end) is a Mercruiser warranty requirement. Must have redundant for warr. I will always be running rubber ones, so I knocked out the metal tip flappers. They were making an obnoxious rattle at idle. I don't think they restrict that much, but definitely a little! Much nicer without them. Plus, if you will put mufflers on at any time, it is recommended that you only have rubber ones, since the metal (or other) internal ones can come apart and get lodged in the muffler.

NuckinFutz
    I'm seeing in addition to the internal metal plate flapper another plastic looking baffle assembly about 6-8" farther toward the engine. It looks from the rear to be installed in the rubber hose between the exit of the manifold and the exhaust tips.

Beer-30
    I'm seeing in addition to the internal metal plate flapper another plastic looking baffle assembly about 6-8" farther toward the engine. It looks from the rear to be installed in the rubber hose between the exit of the manifold and the exhaust tips.
    Did your's have rubber flappers on the end of the tips?

NuckinFutz
    Rubber flappers on the end and internal Eddie Marine metal flappers in the pipe about 8 inches in from the end. I'm talking about some other type of baffle towards the engine farther toward the engine than the internal flappers.

LHC30Victory
    Take them out if you have good flappers on your exhaust. They are there to help keep water from getting to the exhaust manifold. I took mine out when I took the restrictors out = no problem.
    Good to meet ya this weekend.