Thread: alternator help

teamaquaholicks
    putting the system in. have a 65amp alternator stock of a 454mpi ho merc.
    need to upgrade to about a 200amp or less to power the system and the boat. can any one help me out with this with a shop or name or number of some one to contact in this matter.
    thanks
    chuck

Jesster
    Here is a place that seems to have pretty good prices. Alternators (http://www.alternatorparts.com/) I bookmarked it from someone elses post a while back. There are a number of different high output alternators on the site so look around. I believe that Havasu Hangin said a while back that he wouldnt go over 150 amps because you can only charge so fast or burn up the batteries.. and I believe he is the internet wire jockey.

Jesster
    Thanks SWB, I have thought of asking the question about max Alt output before but never got around to it.
    So the stock 65 amp alt isn't even enough for 1 Odyssey 2150 and a starting battery.
    I guess I know what I need to purchase next then.

teamaquaholicks
    thanks guys.
    i'm running two blue top optimas and two regular deep cycles. going to use three batts. for the stereo and one for the boat. i think i am going to go with a 100 or 125 amp alt and call it good.
    i'm going to add up the volts the boat runs at and then calculate it for the size of the alt.. works for the race cars anyways.
    thanks again
    chuck