Thread: Chev tahoe

master13
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 engine. I would like to make it sound better/louder. What can I do at a very low cost to get the sound I want? Should I put a new muffler on it, if so what kind and how much should I expect to pay?
    Thanks for the help,
    Master13

slingingsmoke
    Where do you live....
    In Burbank, theres a place called Morse Muffler. Tim is the BEST. If you ever have picked up a Super Chevy, Hot Rod, or any one of those mags, chances are he's done their "project" cars and trucks.
    I had my ol '96 C1500 done there. Sounded awesome.....
    BTW, he custom builds hedders, builds roll cages, and makes and sells his own heavy duty engine stands.
    818-848-1058
    Ask for Tim or Ron.
    www.aeclassic.com/morse/

BarryMac
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 engine. I would like to make it sound better/louder. What can I do at a very low cost to get the sound I want? Should I put a new muffler on it, if so what kind and how much should I expect to pay?
    Thanks for the help,
    Master13

A friend of mine has an '03 Truck with the same engine, he just paid $300.00 plus tax for a FlowMaster Catback, it sounds much better than stock...

goneboatin
    I'm hearing that FloPro makes a direct fit muffler for the Chevy trucks that's quiet at cruise, but has rumble when you step on it. Or just go high end and do the Corsa thing.
    Flo Pro (http://www.flopro.com)
    Corsa Mufflers (http://www.corsaperf.com/trucks_suvs.htm)

MightyMike
    I got a 2004 Tahoe 4.8L 2WD. I did not want it loud, but wanted to add a few more horses. DMC Discount Muffler Centers looked at my existing system and saw the Tahoe already comes with Mandrel bent pipe at 2 7/8" from the cat back. They put in a long Magnaflow XL Series, so it would sound beefy but not wildly loud. Then I went out and got a K&N air filter. Together it sounds great and seems to have a bit more power.
    $153.00 - Magnaflow Muffler Installed
    $50.00 - K&N Air Filter
    $203 Total - Not a bad upgrade at $200.00 with muffler.
    Discount Muffler Center - La Verne/Pomona
    Near Fairplex Pomona
    Ask for George

goneboatin
    I got a 2004 Tahoe 4.8L 2WD. I did not want it loud, but wanted to add a few more horses. DMC Discount Muffler Centers looked at my existing system and saw the Tahoe already comes with Mandrel bent pipe at 2 7/8" from the cat back. They put in a long Magnaflow XL Series, so it would sound beefy but not wildly loud. Then I went out and got a K&N air filter. Together it sounds great and seems to have a bit more power.
    $153.00 - Magnaflow Muffler Installed
    $50.00 - K&N Air Filter
    $203 Total - Not a bad upgrade at $200.00 with muffler.
    Discount Muffler Center - La Verne/Pomona
    Near Fairplex Pomona
    Ask for George
    Do you get any interior drone. I had a Magnaflow on my other truck that had the 5.3 engine and it's loudest point was between 1600 and 2200 rpm. That was my cruising range from 55 to 75 mph. After 2 weeks I pulled it off and threw a Dynomax on there. It was mellower, but at cruising at freeway speeds you still needed to turn down the radio to carry on a conversation.