Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know About Websense?

It's Only Money
    I know there are a few I.T. savvy peeps out there...
    A friend of mine is working for a firm that is going to implement Websense as some kind of proxy manager for connecting to the Internet. He fears that the reporting features will cause him to eliminate his time on the Internet monitoring his favorite Forum sites - similar to this one.
    Does anyone know much about this product other than what the Websense.com site gives-up? Can it be fooled or spoofed? Anyway around this technology?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Panic Button
    It tracks, block and notifies management of the exact websites that employees are going to. We've fired about 20 people for unauthorized sites. Websites are put in catagories and it keeps track of you exact time and site you go to. Becareful, the reports can be admissable in court... It cannot be spoofed as it is internally controlled, and unless he knows the DMZ address I doubt he can get around it. Numerous people have tried at our place, and all that leads to is termination. Depends on how the site is listed and what they want to monitor and/or time limits installed, no by-pass.
    www2.***boat.com/forums/ comes up as non-categorized, so he might be safe for a while...

Racer277
    I understand that ***boat.com is now categorized, as it has "swimsuits" in the page.
    Have him (right...) talk to his IT people. If he can convince them that he should be on that site, they can move it to another category, but it still reports. The reports can be filtered.
    Maybe a pocket protector or a video game given to the right person would help.... :idea:

Mrs.Racer277
    I understand that ***boat.com is now categorized, as it has "swimsuits" in the page.
    Have him (right...) talk to his IT people. If he can convince them that he should be on that site, they can move it to another category, but it still reports. The reports can be filtered.
    Maybe a pocket protector or a video game given to the right person would help.... :idea:
    Spoken like a true computer geek.

Panic Button
    We have the latest DB download, as of last night, it still is "none", but that can change any day. If any of my techs modified any reports, they would be term'ed immediately.

Mrs.Racer277
    We have the latest DB download, as of last night, it still is "none", but that can change any day. If any of my techs modified any reports, they would be term'ed immediately.
    Dang. Good thing I don't work for you! :hammer2: :wink:

Panic Button
    If you're going to try and beat Websense, I recommend spending most of your time surfing at Monster.com.
    Well said! Between Websense & Surf Control 99% of major companies use it. Just a little food for thought... You make $20/hr, you surf 1/hr day, in 1 years you waste $5K in salary, now multiply that by say 200 people doing it in a company that's a $1,000,000.00/Yr!!! Well worth the $20K we spent.
    HB Forums come up as "Vehicles"

mtndewdrops
    If you're going to try and beat Websense, I recommend spending most of your time surfing at Monster.com.
    LOL,
    They got it where I work, and I jump on accasionally. I change my settings to block avatars so it is less explicit. I don't spend more than 5 minutes on at a time. Got to stick with short posts.

Racer277
    Methinks you mis-understood my post.
    Knowing a DMZ address won't help. Depending on the configuration there may not even be one (DMZ).
    There are many legitimate reasons for filtering reports, changing categories, or using different policies for different groups of people. All of these are commons configuration changes at install and after some use.
    If the websense box is attached to your PIX, you can easily bypass the filtering:
    You can configure a Cisco PIX Firewall to not pass specified traffic to Websense using the Filter URL Except command.
    This command allows you to set the PIX Firewall to bypass any traffic coming or sent to a particular IP address.
    filter url except local_ip local_mask foreign_ip foreign_mask allow
    Examples
    The line below would configure the PIX Firewall to allow any outbound traffic from the IP address 10.1.1.1 to go out unfiltered.
    filter url except 10.1.1.1 255.255.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 allow
    The next line would allow all users access to the destination IP address 216.109.124.73 without being filtered.
    filter url except 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 216.109.124.73 0.0.0.0 allow
    NOTE
    Incoming or outbound traffic from IP addresses specified in these commands will not be filtered or logged by Websense.
    You simply need access to your PIX.....

Panic Button
    But Websense and Surf Control work off ISA boxes, and they run in conjunction with the user list from AD so there really isn't a way to by-pass it, unless you happen to get the Admin password... I see where your coming from, but in our shops you must hit the ISA box (authorized, and what sites authorized), they the PIX then out to the DMZ. If your not authorized in Active Directory & Web Monitioring, your not handed off to the PIX.
    I got what you're saying, that's why I run the reports. And we filter for departments, website catagories etc, but the list also goes to GM's & HR...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast