Thread: Greasing Impeller

jet496
    I have a new boat with 40 hrs on. I'm greasing my impeller every 20 hours as recommended (Just giving it a few squirts until I feel some back-pressure). My question is when I grease it this time on the first squirt a few drops of water squirted out of the big nut inside there housing the grease zert. I gave it one more squirt & alittle grease came out also. I did not have this on my last boat. Should I remove the place diverter & tighten the nut or is it OK?

Jetmugg
    Just curious, Jet - what kind of pump is it? I have a guess that it might be a Dominator. I have the slightly older Dominator pump, and it does not use grease at all. The rear bearing is water lubricated. I have been told that it doesn't really matter whether the rear bearing is water, oil, or grease lubed. Somewhere on the web is a rating for the bowl bearing, showing dry, water, oil, and grease rpm ratings.
    How do you like the new 496 engine? I assume it's Fuel Injected. How many HP are they rated, and what kind of speed numbers are you seeing? Also what kind of hull?
    SteveM

jet496
    I hav an AA impeller that runs 4800 rpm in the low 60 mph range. I really like the 496. I was a little concerned since it has a computer chip controlling the fuel & everything but it doesn't miss a beat.

HBjet
    jet496, congrats on the new boat. I was just wondering, what did you get?
    HBjet

jet496
    It's a 21 foot Ultra, Stealth. The 496HO, which I have is rated at 415 hp & has a stainless steel crank. The standard 496 is rated at 375 hp and just has a cast iron crank. I owned a '96 21 foot Ultra LX with the 390 hp 454 before this one & got almost what I paid for it. They really hold their value & plus it was the right time of year to sell it (Spring).

oldphart
    Don't want to nit pik but nobody makes a stainless crank, you have a steel crank, Stainless does wierd things when it gets hot

fat rat
    Can that 496 really spin a AA to 4800rpm?

jet496
    Thanks for the correction-I meant forged steel. Yes it turns a hair over 4800 rpm @ 61 mph (clocked on a radar gun at San Vincente) with the AA. I also have the loader impeller on there, it was so cheap to add while the boat was being constructed, I didn't hesitate to do it. The boat is very strong out of the hole (not necesssarily the fastest, but very strong without having to floor the throttle). Very good on gas mileage too. I'm going on a two week trip to Lake Navajo & Powell where I'll put some serious hours & ski trials on it. I'll let you know how it performs. I'll be curious to see if the computer chip does it's job adjusting gas/air delivery @ different altitudes. I'll be running @ 4600 feet. Usually I'd loose a few mph there on my previous '96 Ultra LX, 454 boat.